Used 2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Prius-plug-in - Consumer Reviews

2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in

View reviews for a specific Prius Plug-in model:

Real world experience with the Prius Plug in.
By rckcjc3

2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have a 4 mile work commute and often drive 15 miles to Portland on weekends, so my driving is a mix of city and some hwy. Late this summer I averaged 105 MPG across three fill ups. I have seen my milage down to 65 MPG city during the winter with lots of heater and defroster use. On an extended trip accross the state, I averaged 52 MPG hwy - just as advertised. I have two 2012 Prius Plug in's and have spent $1200 less on gasoline during the first year than we did owning two Corollas so the savings is very real. Our electricity bill has only gone up $15 per month charging 2 cars, though some savings is achieved there with our Solar panels. Figure about 25-30 cents to charge at PDX rates.

Favorite Features

Love the great gas milage. A couple of things that Toyota doesn't advertise well: If you drive down a very long grade the regenerative braking may charge both the Prius and the EV batteries - giving you a couple bonus EV miles at the bottom of the grade. Also, with the ECO/EV/power buttons you can dial up or down the point where the gas engine kicks in. In ECO it is easier to stay in EV mode. When you press the power button, you can get the horsepower you need to pass, etc.

Suggested Improvements

It seems a bit harder to see behind you in the Prius than it did in the 2005 corolla. I put extra mirrors on the driver side to better see the blind spot. Also, the stereo system is not very friendly with after market USB cables. I had to experiment before finding just the right cable for my iPod.

Love my PIP
By hybridguy

2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My PIP is fun drive and gets amazing mileage. At this point I am averaging 90+ mpg. Turns out the 11-14 mile EV range works for me since most of my trips are less than 10 miles. I usually manage most round trips with a little (>1mile) of EV range left. Good value with current incentives!

Holy crap! 646 miles on a full tank of gas :-)
By tollywood

2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

... and it takes only 8.3 gallons of regular gas to fill the tank. Moving from a 2004 highlander (I know, not a comparable vehicle), it already saved me 30 gallons of gas in just 15 days of ownership. Leased for $310 a month, it has already paid itself 40% of its monthly payment. Looks sub-compact from outside, but not bad on the space inside. Comfortably sits 4 adults . Feels heavy like an european import (loaded batteries under the trunk). So-so pickup from complete stop, (11 seconds for 0-60 mph), but for $200+/mth savings on the gas, I will take it. Please note: My office is only 9 miles each way and I've religiously charged every night for 15 days.MPG not guaranteed

Favorite Features

1. Fuel consumption 2. Loaded features on the base model. (GPS, Bluetooth, Entune, USB, Aux In, rear-view camera...) 3. Drive 4. Display of real time energy usage 5. Button start 6. Miniature sized shift

Suggested Improvements

1. Rear view is a big minus of this car. I am kind of used after 15 days, but it is still unacceptable. 2. Steering wheel buttons are too hard on the fingers. (Sorry, but Apple and Samsung have spoled us) 3. I can't use seat warmers. There are no leather seats in there. I could instead use power seating. 4. Please re-design the driver console. I don't need controls to wrap around me, I could instead use extra leg / hip room. 5. For first few days, it used to show a 13.1 miles range on full charge. Within few days it has dropped to 12.4 miles consistent. Has the battery already lost some capacity?

Cruising on Electricity
By fyoung55

2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

With a super low lease price and electricity in our area under $.10 a kwh, this was a no-brainer! We live and work within 5 miles of just about everything we need, so the 12 mile range on all electric is perfect! We have an 8 yr old and a 2 yr old in a car seat, and they both fit fine in the back, even behind me at 6'2" Lots of space in the hatchback, and lots of nice features included in the base model. Have driven nearly 1,000 miles and the lifetime average is 55mpg (all electric miles included bumps up the mpg a bit).

Favorite Features

dedicated EV mode, back up camera, heated seats, awesome mpg, built in navigation. Fun bar graphs!

Suggested Improvements

The gas engine supplies heat to the interior of the car. We live in upstate NY and that means 4 - 6 months of the year we use heat in the car. We can wear coats and not use the cabin heat, but unfortunately, we still need to run the defroster to see through the front window. That means the gas engine runs, even in "EV mode." The back up beeper is driving me crazy! I have heard that I can get the dealer to change that. I'll be looking into that on my first oil change.

Really like the extended worry free range
By osilloh

2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

As other published reviews have mentioned, you are trading MPH for MPG and I have found this to be accurate. You will get to where you need, but not very fast. I plug-in a few times a week at home and the free mall chargers. I average over 600 miles per tank. I think for me, this averages to about 3 charges per gallon since the gas mpg is about 48 or so and I'm averaging over 80mpg. Filling the tank is about $28 for about 8 gallons. The full 3 hour charge at home is about $1 based on $.33/kwh, so being the cheap guy that I am, I try to avoid plugging in at home :)

Favorite Features

The silent EV mode actually feels more powerful than the gas engine. Bluetooth pairing with multiple phones is great.

Suggested Improvements

There is a EV/HV switch where you can somewhat switch the vehicle into Hybrid or EV mode, I hope a software maintenance update can resolve this. I have found that the EV/HV switch doesn't always force the EV mode so I switch on the A/C to put an additional load on the system. This almost always engages the gas engine and saves my charge. Without turning on the A/C I notice the electric motor is still engaged and drops dramatically on hills. I have found that going uphill it makes sense to force the HV(gas) mode to save the charge for flat ground.