Used 2014 Toyota Prius c Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Toyota Prius c - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius c model:

A great purchase
By Frank S

2014 Toyota Prius c Four 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've only had the car less than 1 month but so far it is everything I had hoped it would be. It's my commuter car / kid shuttle. It handles great on city streets and has a surprising amount of pickup. Hope we have a long future together.

Loved leasing it enough to buy it but....
By Robin Rosner

2014 Toyota Prius c Two 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

They should have talked to me first. This was a rushed purchase, and I very well might still have bought it. I had been a devoted Nissan Sentra owner since the Datsun B-210. Kept them all over 10 years. But then you get to that point where needed repair expenses could be invested in a new car...in this last case, I had a broken spring, a surprise, so it wasn't safe to drive. The pressure was on. The new Sentra was way too big for my comfort and fitting in the garage with a Chevy...and I hated the console between the two front seats. My sister had the Prius C...so I wound up at a Toyota dealership I should have walked away from. It was a terrible lesson learned the hard way...But back to the car....It was a good fit with a comfortable seat...and it was...okay...cute. ANd there were colors beyond silver and black...The finish of the dash does look like one review noted, as if there are scratches...which I guess is good because when my protective pup jumped up, or a clip board slid down both leaving marks...it's less obvious. Never happened in the Sentra...so I think they could do better about that. The little pen section on the dash is a pain...it holds dust and crumbs and is a pain to clean. I like closed, concealed space. The cupholders are in a great position...up front and center on below the dash...but they were not smart enough to make a liner that could be removed to be washed. I also dislike the placement of the other driving mode buttons beneath the handbrake. If my pup is with me she can easily stand on that. I was able to get a strong, small container that was shallow enough to place over the buttons, and then put a folded towel over that. Problem solved... It also was a big transition to go from a trunk to a condensed space in back. In thinking about getting a new piece of luggage, I had to measure carefully to make sure it would fit to be concealed. So I guess it's true that it is more a city car and not one for a road trip with more adults who have baggage, unless it's short trips with limited bags. I also, woke up in a sweat after starting the sales process when I realized that my pup, who can be protective, and even if not...could squeeze her way through over the back seat and out the hatch if she were determined. A real scare factor for me. As a precaution I both have her secured via seat belt loop and also got one of those metal barriers which I put behind the back seat. And of course...you've gotta love the gas mileage. That is a relief. Going totally electric would just be too nerve wracking for a single woman driving alone...

A tale of two cars
By DJC

2014 Toyota Prius c Two 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We are previous owners of the regular Prius lift back. When it came to get another Prius the C caught our eye. The interior was comfortable for a small car and we got a good deal. Around town the car is great. It's nimble and fun. Also it's very easy to park. Breaks are responsive as well. On the highway however, the car struggles mightily. It's difficult to pass or accelerate uphill without flooring it. Everything else is fine. The seats are comfy, the car looks good inside and out, mileage can't be beat, and the handling is enjoyable. An upgraded infotainment system would be nice. If you do mostly city driving it's a great little runabout.

MPG heavily dependent on velocity
By skh3

2014 Toyota Prius c One 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my Prius C a couple years ago. It is a generally well-built car, but it is pretty slow to accelerate and is rather loud when the accelerator is pressed. Perhaps most importantly, it MPG is heavily dependent on the speed at which you travel. I mainly drive on the highway and if I drive 75-80 mph, I noticed that I only averaged about 40 mpg whereas if I drove 55-60 mph, I seem to have gotten over 50 mph. I don't know how the reviewer on this site stated that he is getting 64 mpg. He must be driving REALLY conservatively on the hwy.

Toyota reliability. Excellent fuel economy when driven very conservatively.

More power. Quieter engine. Better MPG at higher speeds. Better outward styling.

Far better then I thought.
By joecar5

2014 Toyota Prius c Three 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I got the Pricus C 3 for 1 reason, the advertised MPG. I have an 80 mile round trip commute that consist of 85% highway driving and was tired of filling my SUV up every 3 days for $55+ each time. I now average 64MPG each way and fill up every 6 days for $25. I'm totally blowed away with the amount of money I'm saving. There are loads of YouTube videos that show how to drive a Prius, I highly recommend them if you do buy a Prius.

As for the car itself I find the seats to be very comfortable, the build materials are fine after all it is an inexpensive car. The 3 level has some cool features like push button start, doors unlock when they detect the key, and touch screen with navigation.

Entunes, push butt start, low center of gravity.

The touche screen can be hard to see at certain times of the day.