A Hybrid Accessible to Everyone
By lmj009 on
2013 Toyota Prius c Two 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
Thanks to some great deals, I managed to get a new 2013 Prius C Two for $17k, which was comparable to the non-hybrids I was looking for and came with many more features. The Two has all features I could ask for. There is obviously some initial adjustment if you've never driven a hybrid, but the fuel economy is as promised. There were complaints about lack of power but I drove a V6 before and had no problem adjusting. The car is a lot roomier than it appears, particularly the backseat. Headroom is great, and the trunk space is good as well. Of all the cheaper hybrids, this had the best features and room, and with a good deal it can cost you less than many non-hybrids.
Favorite Features
Stereo system is good and having a USB port and Bluetooth is convenient. The screen is really great for helping you to learn how to drive more efficiently (especially since I used to accelerate and break very quickly) and it's interesting to see your "score" improve and all the fuel consumption stats. The fold down seats are great if you're transporting a lot of things, I was surprised at how much this little car could hold. And above all, the fuel efficiency is amazing. My last car got 20 MPG and I am astounded at how much less I spend on gas. I regularly get about 50 miles a gallon as promised (a mix of highway commuting and city driving).
Suggested Improvements
Although the back middle seat is never the most comfortable, the fact that it's basically a hump is quite uncomfortable (although the other back seats are very comfortable). However, the width of the back seat is good and three people are less cramped than many other smaller cars I've been in. But be wary if you expect to regularly drive with five people in the car.
By jptuck1962
on 04/14/14 19:11 PM (PDT)

As I average about 100 miles a day the Volt wouldn't save me any money as the 1 gallon saved using the electric is more than offset by the cost of the 35mpg vs the 55+ I get now. As the tax incentives and vehicle cost for me don't bring it into the range of my Prius C I make out better with its hybrid system. If the Volt had the range of the Nissan Leaf perhaps something to consider - but right now from an electric standpoint it's too short for the cost.

By davidsvolt
on 03/10/14 00:45 AM (PDT)

I would be so mad if I only got 50 mpg. I would be mad if I only got 100 mpg. I drive a 2014 Chevy Volt and I average 280 mpg on my daily 56 mile commute. Most Volt owners that drive less than 40 miles per day average 900 mpg. I paid $22,195 after Fed and. Ca state rebates. I can travel 48 miles on a charge that costs about a dollar, then the gas generator comes on giving the Volt unlimited range, unlike pure EV vehicles. The Volt is really fast, handles great, and drives silently except for tire noise on the pavement. Why buy a Prius when you can do so much better in the mpg category with a chevy Volt? I just don't get it. The chevy Volt won the highest customer satisfaction rating two years in a row for a good reason, in fact probably for the reasons I just stated above. Where did the Prius C, regular Prius, plug in Prius, whatever, rank in customer satisfaction?