Used 2013 Toyota Prius c Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Toyota Prius-c - Consumer Reviews

2013 Toyota Prius c

View reviews for a specific Prius c model:

Great economy car
By jptuck1962

2013 Toyota Prius c Two 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Picked this up as a lease - save more each month in gas than the payment is vs the Rav 4 I drove before. With snow tires had no problems this winter. Surprisingly agile it's fun to drive and the sound system beat the Alpine I had in the Rav. If the Leaf could actually do over 100 miles or the Tesla was only say 40k then something to consider. Until then the Prius C is very hard to beat.

Favorite Features

Love the displays - seeing that 60mpg as I skip around town. The 99mpg when using just the battery is fun to watch as well. Stereo (6 speaker) is a real treat. Nice sound, full bass yet not too deep or muddy. Micro usb drive makes mp3 play all too easy. Just wish there was an easy sat radio module to add for XM etc.

Suggested Improvements

I'm 6'3" so a little more room in the driver's seat would be good.

Prius C One - The ultimate Econo-box
By tk1971

2013 Toyota Prius c One 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Most people see the C as a downgraded Prius. I see it as the ultimate Econo-box. Even in the basic trim (One) this car has built in bluetooth, turn signal indicators on the side mirrors, mp3/usb, a digital speedometer, and that 4" color screen chock full of information. Best part? 49-50mpg with A/C blasting in the summer and the heater blasting in the winter while driving it like a regular car (from stop & go to FWY speeds). Feels about the same as my previous car, a manual transmission Yaris Hatchback with a way more modern / techy feel and design. Price-wise, the cheapest C is comparable to the highest trims of the Yaris or Fit. Looking @ newspapers, I've seen the One advertised for ~$17k.

Favorite Features

Real world 49 - 50mpg w/ all the modern safety features (air bags everywhere, abs, tire pressure monitor, projection halogen headlights). Minimum maintenance. No belts/chains of any kind. Supposedly life-time fluids (tranny, brake, coolant, etc) and brake pads (due to the regenerative brakes), but I wouldn't go that far. Oil changes every 10k miles and tire rotation every 5k. Power steering and A/C are electric (no pumps, etc). Looking @ the regular Prius reliability track record (many used as taxis since 1997), the hybrid drive train should be very reliable. Long term, I would imagine suspension parts, CV boots, but that's with any fwd car.

Suggested Improvements

Don't expect to fit 5 full sized people in this car for more than a few miles, but then again, it's an Econo-box. It's more or less the same as my Yaris was, except this car has less maintenance and get's better mpg. Need more room? There's the regular Prius and the V Wagon for that. For those who think this car should be quieter, quicker, roomier, etc, all I have to say is that you're looking at the wrong car. On the One, they did cheap out to put two tweeters & speakers in the front and called it a 4 speaker system. No speakers in the back at all. Also, would it have broke the bank to put in a trunk light?

All that I could want
78,811 of 78,814 people found this review helpful
By sjg4

2013 Toyota Prius c Two 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love my C! It is nimble, well-made, and fun to drive. Plus, unlike so many other hybrids, the mileage is no hype. I average 50 mpg and I've owned my car for about 4 months now. You go so long between fill ups that you almost forget about getting gas. Regarding the comments about acceleration, it's no Ferrari, but I've found it to be fine on on ramps and here in Philly that's no joke. Also, many of the comparable hybrids sacrificed reliability. I don't think I should have to choose between great mileage and being stuck by the side of the road. I picked the C, and am very happy with the choice.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, handling, quality, size, interior room and design.

Suggested Improvements

Better mileage readout and analysis. It's hard to work the screen readout and the radio, it's unintuitive and clumsy. You need an upgraded system to get some of the data. The manual also says nothing about how the "scores" are calculated and is unhelpful.

A Hybrid Accessible to Everyone
By lmj009

2013 Toyota Prius c Two 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Thanks to some great deals, I managed to get a new 2013 Prius C Two for $17k, which was comparable to the non-hybrids I was looking for and came with many more features. The Two has all features I could ask for. There is obviously some initial adjustment if you've never driven a hybrid, but the fuel economy is as promised. There were complaints about lack of power but I drove a V6 before and had no problem adjusting. The car is a lot roomier than it appears, particularly the backseat. Headroom is great, and the trunk space is good as well. Of all the cheaper hybrids, this had the best features and room, and with a good deal it can cost you less than many non-hybrids.

Favorite Features

Stereo system is good and having a USB port and Bluetooth is convenient. The screen is really great for helping you to learn how to drive more efficiently (especially since I used to accelerate and break very quickly) and it's interesting to see your "score" improve and all the fuel consumption stats. The fold down seats are great if you're transporting a lot of things, I was surprised at how much this little car could hold. And above all, the fuel efficiency is amazing. My last car got 20 MPG and I am astounded at how much less I spend on gas. I regularly get about 50 miles a gallon as promised (a mix of highway commuting and city driving).

Suggested Improvements

Although the back middle seat is never the most comfortable, the fact that it's basically a hump is quite uncomfortable (although the other back seats are very comfortable). However, the width of the back seat is good and three people are less cramped than many other smaller cars I've been in. But be wary if you expect to regularly drive with five people in the car.

It is what it is
By mgoods24

2013 Toyota Prius c Two 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have owned my PC2 for 6 months now and have put just over 7k on it. I purchased it to be my commuter vehicle. I wanted something simple, reliable, and efficient. The PC is all of that. My wife and I took it on a 1500 mile road trip and found it more than comfortable enough for two people and gear. The only disappointments I have with it are some rattles coming from inside the dash and I have not achieved the fuel economy numbers others have mentioned. Averaging 44-45 over the life of the car. This is a small complaint since very few vehicles can get that on their best day. *Note to residents of colder climates. I notice about a 10% drop in fuel economy under 40 degrees F.

Favorite Features

All the standard features, dash layout, seat comfort, best looking small hybrid

Suggested Improvements

Center armrest, build quality, more storage