Used 2013 Toyota Prius c Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Toyota Prius c - Consumer Reviews

2013 Toyota Prius c

View reviews for a specific Prius c model:

Prius C earns a B+
By Withheld

2013 Toyota Prius c Three 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

While I bought this car because it was a hybrid and didn't look as goofy as the regular Prius, I've been pleasantly surprised at the overall ability of the car. I've driven it in mountains with no lack of acceleration, or braking, averaged an honest 49.8 mpg with spikes to 54mpg no matter where or how I drive it. In terms of cargo ability it's been able to carry almost everything I wanted. I couldn't get a bicycle all the way in with the back seats down, but I don't think any passenger car could do that. The only concern I have is the long term cost of taking it to Toyota for oil changes. My first one I had to pay for cost $80, of course it uses synthetic blends so maybe I shouldn't complain. That's oil, rotate tires, new oil filter, new cabin filter.

This car is at least a C+++
By Philip Holzbauer

2013 Toyota Prius c Three 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Prius C is a small car but for a single driver who is commuting, and occasionally carrying boxy items, it can be a perfect fit. After 2-1/2 years I've had no major issues or mechanical problems with my car. It goes in for oil changes and once to have a remote release adjusted. That's the total maintenance and mechanical problems I've had. Others have said the car is noisy. If you floor it off a traffic light, yes. In ordinary driving, you can easily hold a normal voice level conversation with the people in the back seat.

Long Time Toyota Owner, First-Time Hybrid Owner
By Initialjoe

2013 Toyota Prius c One 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I traded in my dying 2006 Toyota Matrix XRS with 170k on the odometer. I was getting around 30mpg and it was a pretty speedy car with lots of room. I had limited time to look around and ended up finding a Black 2013 Prius C One with black tinted glass and only 30,000 miles. It was also a Toyota Certified Car so it came with reliability, an extended warranty, and peace of mind.

It wasn't love at first sight though - I was looking at it from a practical point of view; I liked the idea of saving money on maintenance and the awesome 20+mpg jump in MPG more. Also, the price I paid was in my range. It does its job as a commuter car and it has actually saved me a lot even though I now have payments. I have even taught myself a few hybrid tricks to get better fuel mileage (no warming up the car, no fast acceleration, moving the gas pedal so it uses electric only mode more) and I now am getting between 50-60mpg with mixed highway/road driving. I love the fact that it tells me how much money in gas I have spent to drive to a place.

While the technology on the engine/hybrid system is awesomely advanced, the rest of the car feels like a cheap economy car. That's exactly what it is, though, so I didn't really expect too much in terms of refinement. You basically pay for the hybrid system in what is a car like a Yaris. It has automatic windows, a bluetooth CD player, automatic AC, Steering wheel controls, and a CVT for convenience. It does not have Cruise Control, there are no variable intermittent wipers, no trunk light, and only has a 2 speaker CD player. It's odd to me to have automatic AC but no trunk light??? I feel like these are things that became a staple in economy cars in the 2000's. The saving grace of the CD player is it's bluetooth capability which works better than higher end Volkswagens. It has clear sound, nobody I'm talking with can tell I am using the internal bluetooth microphone for calls, and it is easy to sync devices.

When I got the car I made two immediate upgrades - I changed all the lights on the interior and exterior to LED, put in HID headlights, and changed out the hubcaps to something a little better. The HID upgrade was great and the LED's really made the car stand out at night. The handling of the car is great! If I were to put sporty tires on the car I'm sure it would be great at an Autocross. The turning radius is also great and has allowed me to get in and out of some tight spaces without issue.

In the end, it serves its purpose and I'm hoping it will take me into the next decade without issue.

Good Gas Mileage
By Lee

2013 Toyota Prius c One 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The first only reason to buy this car is for the 48 mpg you will get in all around driving. That's a powerful reason but the only one I can find to own this otherwise bland car.

A great little car!
By Paul Caskey

2013 Toyota Prius c One 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

People shy away from the Prius C because they like the bigger, normal Prius better. But you save almost $10k on the C brand new! It really does get 48-50 mpg combined street/highway driving, for us. It has great acceleration for such awesome gas mileage. The engine doesn't whine and scream like many cars in its class. This car is a joy to drive. It has the reliability you would expect from a Toyota (awesome!). And it holds more than we'd expect, both in passengers and cargo. Our only disappointment so far is the low resale value after just a few years. We'll just keep it, gladly.