Used 2012 Toyota Prius c Two Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Prius-c - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius c model:

Love my "C"!
By kpmick07

2012 Toyota Prius c Hatchback Two 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I got my Prius C for a great price at a "Hail Sale." It has a few dings in it, but I can't see them through the gas meter! I traded in my 17mpg truck, $70 twice a week, for the "C." Now I fill up about every 10-14 days for $30. I got the windows professionally tinted and now they look great! I also went online and found a 1 1/4" trailer hitch and cargo carrier so I can carry a little extra gear on the back when I need to. That has been a lifesaver for camping trips!

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage. Small turning radius. Fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Interior materials are kind of cheap. Quite a bit of road noise at highway speed.

Wish we could buy 2 more
By merkel

Purchased our C 2 on Halloween 2012 after much research , car trying & bargaining with dealers. We needed to save GAS $$ because one of us was driving 12 hours every weekend & with 2 kids in college - budget was tight. Non of the other gas saving , budget cars felt just right until this one. We went for the 2 because the extra $$ for the 3 didn't seem to be worth it for us. After 9 months & about 24,000 miles , we are VERY happy with this car & are surprised by how much fun it is to drive. In the beginning we would have competitions to see who would get the best ECO score & MPG- if you go totally EV for long stretches 99 MPG is possible. Now we just drive & get 44-51 MPG. Save over $200 pm

Favorite Features

Great MPG AND Sporty. Spacious we are amazed how much we can fit in this little car.

Suggested Improvements

Visibility.

Happy Motoring with my "C"
By rfelton

Every day is a pleasure with this car. We live in West Va with hills everywhere. After 7000 miles and with normal driving are average computer miles is 50.6 mpg. Best mpg on fill ups is 54mpg the worst was 45.4 in the winter we had a lot of ice and snow then. The only flat road in my area is from the post office to my house 1.4 miles and I avgerage about 65 mpg, 50 to and 80 back. Because on the return its on ev most of the way. Next week we are moving to Ga all flat ground so I will give you a report in a few months. This is our 4th Toyota since 1988 and it is the greatest by a wide margin.

A Comfortable and Nimble Gas Sipper
By wiscpriusc

I spent close to a year looking for the best hatchback to meet my needs. The Prius C won out due to excellent efficiency and driving almost like an all-petrol car. I had driven both the Insight and the Prius Liftback, both were hard to see out of and hard to get moving. The Prius C moves a little quicker and has much improved outward visibility. The C has plenty of pep to get on the Interstate and is quick around town. Room for four adults on short trips, road trips best kept to three adults max. I have almost forgotten what going to the gas station is like, I average 50 mpg without any special driving techniques.

Favorite Features

Exterior appearance, seat room, gas mileage, seamless hybrid transitions (engine/battery), nimbleness, bluetooth.

Suggested Improvements

Driver seat angle adjuster, longer telescoping steering wheel, better visors, dome light over rear seats.

Great Commuter Car
By krebscycle

Between a Prius C and a MINI, I ended up choosing the Prius, mainly because of the fuel economy, reliability, and cost. My other commuter car is a 1990 Honda Civic DX, also a small hatchbach, and my second commuter car for the household. Surprisingly, the Prius C engine is much louder when driving on the freeway in comparison to my 1990 Honda! You can tell the engine is working hard on the Prius to speed up, but you can still pass cars easily on the freeway if needed. The interior is spacious, and there is a nearly-hidden cup holder on the plastic compartment thing on the passenger door! I've never driven with a back-up cam and have no problems with the Prius C.

Favorite Features

In comparison to the Ford Fiesta and Focus, the seats on the Prius C are heavenly! The ceiling of the interior cabin is comfortable for someone 6' tall. Beneath the armrest is a compartment, but if you look at the bottom of it, you'll see a notch to open up an even smaller compartment where you can stash something. The valet key is also nice because it prevents them from being able to open up the dashboard storage. Definitely read the manual cover to cover to get the best use out of all the little hidden features. Windshield wipers on the back window is also a huge plus. I don't bottom out over speed bumps and the tires are good on bumpy/potholed streets.

Suggested Improvements

I wish there was an option for heated seats on all models and not just the Prius C model 4. I don't want all the fancy stuff on the 4 except the heated seats because it is cold in the mornings in Seattle 9 months out of the year. Maybe I missed it in the manual, but having a simple default screen displaying the outside temperature and the direction (N, W, S, E) you are driving would be nice.