2012 Toyota Prius c Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius c model:
Love my "C"!
By kpmick07 on 08/11/14 21:53 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Prius c Hatchback Two 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I got my Prius C for a great price at a "Hail Sale." It has a few dings in it, but I can't see them through the gas meter! I traded in my 17mpg truck, $70 twice a week, for the "C." Now I fill up about every 10-14 days for $30. I got the windows professionally tinted and now they look great! I also went online and found a 1 1/4" trailer hitch and cargo carrier so I can carry a little extra gear on the back when I need to. That has been a lifesaver for camping trips!

Wish we could buy 2 more
By merkel on 07/13/13 13:55 PM (PDT)

Purchased our C 2 on Halloween 2012 after much research , car trying & bargaining with dealers. We needed to save GAS $$ because one of us was driving 12 hours every weekend & with 2 kids in college - budget was tight. Non of the other gas saving , budget cars felt just right until this one. We went for the 2 because the extra $$ for the 3 didn't seem to be worth it for us. After 9 months & about 24,000 miles , we are VERY happy with this car & are surprised by how much fun it is to drive. In the beginning we would have competitions to see who would get the best ECO score & MPG- if you go totally EV for long stretches 99 MPG is possible. Now we just drive & get 44-51 MPG. Save over $200 pm

Happy Motoring with my "C"
By rfelton on 07/02/13 08:04 AM (PDT)

Every day is a pleasure with this car. We live in West Va with hills everywhere. After 7000 miles and with normal driving are average computer miles is 50.6 mpg. Best mpg on fill ups is 54mpg the worst was 45.4 in the winter we had a lot of ice and snow then. The only flat road in my area is from the post office to my house 1.4 miles and I avgerage about 65 mpg, 50 to and 80 back. Because on the return its on ev most of the way. Next week we are moving to Ga all flat ground so I will give you a report in a few months. This is our 4th Toyota since 1988 and it is the greatest by a wide margin.

Answer to MPG dream
By pablo50 on 02/09/13 12:45 PM (PST)

2012 Toyota Prius c Hatchback One 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This review will be only for someone looking for excellent MPG! I drive 1,350 miles a week. 5,400 miles a month. (Every month - IC Courier). I've had the car for 6 months, 22 days. It has consistantly averaged 51.3 mpg. ECO Mode gives you the best results in city. Regular mode (not ECO) gives best results on freeway. My best has been 59.1 in city driving, 47.8 on freeway. I owned a 2011 Corolla before this and at best only averaged 30 mpg. I drive 50% city, 50% freeway. I am saving $311.00 per month. Compared to the Corolla. Wish I would have bought the car when it first hit the market! These are "real-life" results. Hope this helps.....

Power is just fine, my mileage below EPA
By chrispmorgan on 12/17/12 22:09 PM (PST)

2012 Toyota Prius c Hatchback Three 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Here's where my experience seems to differ from what you might expect: 1. Power (i.e. torque) is just fine. I'm a pretty aggressive driver and when I need to go 80 in metro traffic it gets the job done. I have a family member with a 3.0L BMW Z4 and I can't say I particularly miss the acceleration when I'm back in the "c". 2. I'm just out of the 2k mi break-in period but based on the computer and some validation from the gas pump I'm getting ~45mpg rather than the 50mpg the EPA says and the 60mpg the enthusiasts brag about. You *can* get 50mpg+ but it seems you'll need to really commit to the pulse and glide method (and obeying the highway speed limit) to get this.

I Love my Baby Prius
By gemo06 on 12/17/12 22:06 PM (PST)

2012 Toyota Prius c Hatchback Four 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my car back in Mach. I Received the first Prius C from the dealership because I had bough the car without ever seen it in person. I am very pleased and happy with the result. This car is so fun to drive. I am averaging 51 mpg. I drive about 50% city and 50% Highway. It is true that the car could use more horsepower but that is the price I paid for the mpg. This car was meant for city driving and it does decently in highway. I don't understand why people keep complaining about the car. The car is reliable and fun to drive. I am a happy customer but if people want a car with specific expectations, then they should really test drive as many car so they can make the right decision.

A Comfortable and Nimble Gas Sipper
By wiscpriusc on 12/06/12 10:32 AM (PST)

I spent close to a year looking for the best hatchback to meet my needs. The Prius C won out due to excellent efficiency and driving almost like an all-petrol car. I had driven both the Insight and the Prius Liftback, both were hard to see out of and hard to get moving. The Prius C moves a little quicker and has much improved outward visibility. The C has plenty of pep to get on the Interstate and is quick around town. Room for four adults on short trips, road trips best kept to three adults max. I have almost forgotten what going to the gas station is like, I average 50 mpg without any special driving techniques.

Great Commuter Car
By krebscycle on 10/21/12 21:40 PM (PDT)

Between a Prius C and a MINI, I ended up choosing the Prius, mainly because of the fuel economy, reliability, and cost. My other commuter car is a 1990 Honda Civic DX, also a small hatchbach, and my second commuter car for the household. Surprisingly, the Prius C engine is much louder when driving on the freeway in comparison to my 1990 Honda! You can tell the engine is working hard on the Prius to speed up, but you can still pass cars easily on the freeway if needed. The interior is spacious, and there is a nearly-hidden cup holder on the plastic compartment thing on the passenger door! I've never driven with a back-up cam and have no problems with the Prius C.

A good city commuter
By fpm1 on 10/20/12 23:36 PM (PDT)

Our PC2 is our second Prius. Bought a 2002 Prius new. I like the 2002 more, even though the PC2's improved technology is nice. Our 2002 Prius feels more solid with more power. Its MPG improved to the mid-40s when Toyota replaced the hybrid battery at no cost. I bought the PC2 because I wanted a small hybrid to drive around Honolulu, not a full size Prius.

This car will kill oil dependancy!
By yochivazooo on 10/03/12 14:40 PM (PDT)

Saving me $200 a month in gasoline. 53mpg avg. Stereo sounds incredible on Prious C (4) Confortable seats and I am 5.11, rear confortable for 2 full side adults, 5 tight for the center. Only complaint, no rear camera on level 3 & 4. GPS could be better. If you want to save money this car is for you, dont expect power or luxury ride. I'll use my CR-V for long trips. Can't go wrong for commuter.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Toyota Prius c Hatchback in VA is:

$131 per month*