2012 Toyota Prius c - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius c model:
Power is just fine, my mileage below EPA
By chrispmorgan on 12/17/12 22:09 PM (PST)

2012 Toyota Prius c Three 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Here's where my experience seems to differ from what you might expect: 1. Power (i.e. torque) is just fine. I'm a pretty aggressive driver and when I need to go 80 in metro traffic it gets the job done. I have a family member with a 3.0L BMW Z4 and I can't say I particularly miss the acceleration when I'm back in the "c". 2. I'm just out of the 2k mi break-in period but based on the computer and some validation from the gas pump I'm getting ~45mpg rather than the 50mpg the EPA says and the 60mpg the enthusiasts brag about. You *can* get 50mpg+ but it seems you'll need to really commit to the pulse and glide method (and obeying the highway speed limit) to get this.

Now I get it...
By dr1105 on 09/26/12 12:50 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Prius c Three 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Every Prius owner I spoke to while doing car research loves their Prius. After 2000 miles with mine, I get it. If you want great gas mileage, easy park-ability, great tech features--this car is it. Along with Prius c, I was considering the Hyundai Veloster, Subaru Impreza, Mazda3. I drove each car multiple times (car sales people love me). The Prius c 3 had all the features I required: Bluetooth, Navigation, Keyless entry. I need to transport my 10 year old, drive all over LA and I wanted 35+ mpg. The Mazda3's interior was boring, and adding my required features to Veloster and Impreza pushed both out of my price range. Plus, the owner reviews showed few people achieve the advertised mpg.

Fun to drive our Prius C
By satx2 on 09/14/12 22:13 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Prius c Three 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have about 4000 (most city) miles on our Prius C and really enjoy it so far. It has adequate power to get onto the expressway and behaves well at 75 mph. What we like most is that this car is fun to drive. I don't try to baby it to get maximum mileage, but it still gets 42-44 mpg overall. We're still getting used to all the electronics, but are enjoying the Bluetooth feature and satellite radio. If you can live with a little less power and comfort, the Prius C is a really good buy.

I hate this car more than anything.
By lspeed1983 on 07/03/12 19:11 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Prius c Three 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My fiance just bought this car a few months ago and claims to love it. Despite this she still always finds a reason to take my 2012 Golf TDI rather than her Pruis C. Way to often I get stuck with her loud, annoying, joyless, unrefined, hopelessly slow, dork box of a car. I'm a car guy not a Prius guy, so I don't and never will understand.

My First Hybrid
By marambula on 03/26/12 18:47 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Prius c Three 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I just put 500 miles on my Prius C Three. I traded my 2010 Toyota Matrix for it. I'm glad to report I'm getting exact EPA mileage, and then some. No regrets! This subcompact is not for racing. You want to race get something else. I have no problems merging in freeway traffic and its size and excellent steering allow me to maneuver in city traffic easily. The seats offer plenty of support and adjust in enough positions to allow me to drive comfortably. The AC cools the interior quickly and I live in South Texas where the daytime temperature is already at 90 degrees. This model is very well equipped for the price. This is an excellent little car that does everything its supposed to do well.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Toyota Prius c in VA is:

$131 per month*