2012 Toyota Prius c - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius c model:
Love my "C"!
By kpmick07 on 08/11/14 21:53 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Prius c Two 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I got my Prius C for a great price at a "Hail Sale." It has a few dings in it, but I can't see them through the gas meter! I traded in my 17mpg truck, $70 twice a week, for the "C." Now I fill up about every 10-14 days for $30. I got the windows professionally tinted and now they look great! I also went online and found a 1 1/4" trailer hitch and cargo carrier so I can carry a little extra gear on the back when I need to. That has been a lifesaver for camping trips!

Wish we could buy 2 more
By merkel on 07/13/13 13:55 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Prius c Two 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased our C 2 on Halloween 2012 after much research , car trying & bargaining with dealers. We needed to save GAS $$ because one of us was driving 12 hours every weekend & with 2 kids in college - budget was tight. Non of the other gas saving , budget cars felt just right until this one. We went for the 2 because the extra $$ for the 3 didn't seem to be worth it for us. After 9 months & about 24,000 miles , we are VERY happy with this car & are surprised by how much fun it is to drive. In the beginning we would have competitions to see who would get the best ECO score & MPG- if you go totally EV for long stretches 99 MPG is possible. Now we just drive & get 44-51 MPG. Save over $200 pm

Happy Motoring with my "C"
By rfelton on 07/02/13 08:04 AM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Prius c Two 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Every day is a pleasure with this car. We live in West Va with hills everywhere. After 7000 miles and with normal driving are average computer miles is 50.6 mpg. Best mpg on fill ups is 54mpg the worst was 45.4 in the winter we had a lot of ice and snow then. The only flat road in my area is from the post office to my house 1.4 miles and I avgerage about 65 mpg, 50 to and 80 back. Because on the return its on ev most of the way. Next week we are moving to Ga all flat ground so I will give you a report in a few months. This is our 4th Toyota since 1988 and it is the greatest by a wide margin.

A Comfortable and Nimble Gas Sipper
By wiscpriusc on 12/06/12 10:32 AM (PST)

2012 Toyota Prius c Two 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I spent close to a year looking for the best hatchback to meet my needs. The Prius C won out due to excellent efficiency and driving almost like an all-petrol car. I had driven both the Insight and the Prius Liftback, both were hard to see out of and hard to get moving. The Prius C moves a little quicker and has much improved outward visibility. The C has plenty of pep to get on the Interstate and is quick around town. Room for four adults on short trips, road trips best kept to three adults max. I have almost forgotten what going to the gas station is like, I average 50 mpg without any special driving techniques.

Great Commuter Car
By krebscycle on 10/21/12 21:40 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Prius c Two 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Between a Prius C and a MINI, I ended up choosing the Prius, mainly because of the fuel economy, reliability, and cost. My other commuter car is a 1990 Honda Civic DX, also a small hatchbach, and my second commuter car for the household. Surprisingly, the Prius C engine is much louder when driving on the freeway in comparison to my 1990 Honda! You can tell the engine is working hard on the Prius to speed up, but you can still pass cars easily on the freeway if needed. The interior is spacious, and there is a nearly-hidden cup holder on the plastic compartment thing on the passenger door! I've never driven with a back-up cam and have no problems with the Prius C.

A good city commuter
By fpm1 on 10/20/12 23:36 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Prius c Two 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Our PC2 is our second Prius. Bought a 2002 Prius new. I like the 2002 more, even though the PC2's improved technology is nice. Our 2002 Prius feels more solid with more power. Its MPG improved to the mid-40s when Toyota replaced the hybrid battery at no cost. I bought the PC2 because I wanted a small hybrid to drive around Honolulu, not a full size Prius.

'Nother sub-par car.
By prodigit on 09/24/12 20:01 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Prius c Two 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Probably the WORST car I've ever driven, and not worth the $10k compared to the Yaris! The Yaris is both faster, snappier, and costs way less. Calculated, you'd have to drive the Prius C 20 years over 10K miles, to gain back your money on gasoline (@$4/GAL), add a mandatory $4000 battery change every 8 years, and you'll never get out of the cost! Don't buy!

Better than expected
By oddsandends on 06/19/12 13:07 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Prius c Two 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

At six foot four, I expected to be ridiculously cramped. At 1.5 liters, I expected it to be ridiculously slow. Neither are true. I don't have an excess of room, but there's enough. It doesn't have an excess of acceleration, but it's enough. I just manage my drive carefully and am rewarded with 60+ mpg on my morning commute. I also own a BMW 740i that I bought used for 1/3 of what I paid for the Prius C. When I need to go fast, I take it out. Otherwise, I am very pleased with my little gas-sipper. Build quality is good, ride is quiet, and there is room for groceries. I'd buy it again tomorrow.

GOING HYBRID
By choferon54 on 06/11/12 18:06 PM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Prius c Two 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased this vehicle after doing homework on it for almost a month.I kept looking for positives reviews but all I found was the negatives,most were resentful of the fact that this is a Gas saving machine and doesn't have the muscle of a V8 or V6. One Friday afternoon, I was going home traveling North on the 5 FWY merging onto the 14 to Palmdale when on my left side observed a white Prius C speeding his way on the carpool lane going baldly about 80 miles per hour and said to myself all those comments about how fast these cars move on the FWY were just opinions not based on facts.That very same weekend went for mine and I am satisfied with the deal I got from Hamer Toyota at Mission Hills.

Prius c Two
By fray1 on 06/06/12 06:40 AM (PDT)

2012 Toyota Prius c Two 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Recently purchased a Two and am extremely satisfied. Though it does not provide the quietest, nor smoothest, ride, I bought it for the gas mileage, and am not disappointed. I drive approximately 75% highway, and am currently getting about 50-52 mpg combined. Debated between a used Prius, Ford Fiesta, Hyundai Accent, and Kia Rio hatch, and a new c, and am happy with our choice.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Toyota Prius c in VA is:

$131 per month*