1997 Toyota Previa DX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Previa - Consumer Reviews

1997 Previa Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Previa model:

Sort Reviews by

Mom's Taxi Babies Ride
By Joel G

1997 Toyota Previa LE 3dr Minivan

Sold 86 Toyota Van 285K miles to be replaced with 97 Previa with 1st baby coming in Jun. Perfect to carry 2nd kid in 99. Also carried Mom, Dad, Father-in-law to doctor's appt. Use mostly for reserve weekend duty. Did not change remote bat 6 yrs later. Did reg maint oil/filter chg every 3K. Used in business for 6 yrs as modified pick up truck by removing middle seat & folding 3rd row. Kids love this because they can lie down and sleep and watch tv. Our kids and parents in their 80s enjoyed trips to NY, VA, FL, LA, GA, TN, SC, NC, AL, TX, MA, CO. With this economy we are glad to have Toyotas in our family. Camry 02 replaced 88 Celica. Convinced five younger brothers to get Toyotas. They did.

Favorite Features

Flexible enough to take to Camp Lejeune NC for 6 years every Easter for military training.

Suggested Improvements

Make a new version of the Previa. Coolant reservoir to radiator needs to be metal not heavy duty plastic. 4 cyl LE SC with 28 mpg will be a Great Buy for my next upgrade. Please hurry.

My Favorite Van Ever
By Dennis

1997 Toyota Previa LE All-Trac 3dr Minivan AWD

I have owned lots of vans, and the Previa is far and away the best van I have ever owned. Build quality is unbelievable (it's a Toyota, stupid), handling is exemplary with the mid- engine and AWD. Fuel mileage is 19 mpg around town, with up to 24 on the highway. I'm a Toyota salesman, and I sold this van new to an engineer and bought it from the family after he passed away. I constantly am amazed with the number of people who ask me if I want to sell it. Never is a hundred years.

Favorite Features

Handling

Best Minivan ever
By Alf Skrastins

1997 Toyota Previa LE All-Trac 3dr Minivan AWD

My 1997 AWD Previa is the third one that I have owned. I previously had a 1991 and a 1994. All three have been completely trouble free, for a total of over 620K mi. The supercharger gives the 2.4 litre engine the punch of a V6, while delivering great gas mileage. I've been searching for a replacement for 5 years, but nothing made these days even comes close. The Sienna is too long, fat, low and is just not as much fun. If Toyota ever made a reasonable replacement for the Previa, I would buy it in an instance.

Favorite Features

Supercharged mid-engine design AWD with reasonable clearance plus a car-like ride. Super well thought out interior with flip up rear seats and swiveling middle seats.

Suggested Improvements

Just make them again. A hybrid version would be great.

Final model year of the great Previa
By Carlton

1997 Toyota Previa LE All-Trac 3dr Minivan AWD

An amazing vehicle: mid-engine, supercharged, all-wheel drive, 7-passenger with plenty of room, yet 2 inches shorter than the Camry! This was our 2nd Previa. The first was a 1992 LE AWD. We bought that one with ~37k mi, sold it with ~150k mi, and last I knew, it now has over 220k on it. I bought my '97 with 50k mi and it now has 164k. It has been VERY reliable (as was the '92) and I would buy another if they still sold them. The Sienna is nice, but it is longer, lower, and the AWD model has those stupid/expensive run-flat tires.

Favorite Features

Reliability, SUV height and room with compact car footprint, middle row captains chairs that can be faced forward or backward.

Suggested Improvements

Center console is plasticy.

Great family car, LOTS OF ROOM
By tdiaz

1997 Toyota Previa LE 3dr Minivan

I love this van, it's roomy and comfortable. The captain seats are great, it runs great. We have taken it on several long distant trips and it ran perfectly. We have had no mechanical problems, it has been well taken care of. Would definitely recommend. A++

Favorite Features

Captain seats, leg room in the back.

Suggested Improvements

Center console.

The Best Van Ever Made Period.
By dysphonix

1997 Toyota Previa DX 3dr Minivan

Excellent, reliable car. Great handling on street, snow, rain, etc. Good acceleration for a car its size. Reliable...I have over 140.000 miles on mine, and never gave me any trouble or has broken down. Not even a radiator hose! Quality Japanese engineering. Too bad they discontinued it.

Favorite Features

Supercharger! Easily removable seats.

Suggested Improvements

Not everyone has an average Japanese stature ;) Could use more leg room up front.