Used 1992 Toyota Previa Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Toyota Previa - Consumer Reviews

1992 Toyota Previa

View reviews for a specific Previa model:

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By Niscoti

1992 Toyota Previa LE 3dr Minivan

This van has taken us through several 10K+ road trips with not a single mishap. Only once did we have trouble, after 1500 miles driving across Baja California's notorious Hwy 1 (named for the 1 foot deep potholes?). O.K., new shocks. Other than a couple of tune ups, two new batteries, two sets of tires, a set of brakes, and one transmission sensor, we have never had trouble with this sweet van in the 8 years and 100,000 miles we've owned it. I bought a 1994 Previa last month to replace it because of wear and tear on the body - the locks are failing. But the "new" van just doesn't feel right. It may not be worth much at the dealer, but I just can't part with this old family friend

Favorite Features

I love riding shotgun at a slight recline that still leaves room for the kids in back, feet outstretched on the long dash. The middle seat slides back to leave a huge amount of room for passengers. I've loaded plywood and sheetrock without removing the seat, just reclining them.

Suggested Improvements

I HATE driving this van in the snow or on black ice, which is rare where we live (Washington State). I once did a 360 at trying to make a right turn at 15 mph in an inch of wet snow. I only wish I could buy a new one. I hear the Sienna is nothing like it. Pity.

Fantastic Reliability
By david

1992 Toyota Previa LE 3dr Minivan

Purchased car new. Wholesale rep. so put over 100,000 miles first 1 1/2 yrs. Afterwards as an artist traveling doing art show, pulling large trailer with total van weight(4300 lbs.) and trailer totalled 9300 to 9800 pounds, the Previa pulled it up the mountains of W. Virginia, Wyoming and the 8% grades ot Lake Tahoe, Ca. Now it has 473,000 miles with absolutely no engine work done except water pump, and starter. Van still does not use oil. This is a fantastic car for reliability.

Favorite Features

Supportive seats, seat configuration, stereo and speakers.

Great Van at any age.
By paul belanger

1992 Toyota Previa Deluxe 3dr Minivan

We bought this vehicle because we had our second child, and traded in our 95 corolla for it and never regretted it once. It has never let us down once. Now that it is 14 years old we still drove it 14 hours to North Carolina from Ontario Canada. The first day over 9 hours straight without a worry. We are now considering a new van but we are having a hard time with letting go of this one.

Favorite Features

Quad seats, Dual sunroofs, ease of driving and visibility, easy to find in a parking lot. Reliability.

Suggested Improvements

We have had to replace the a/c and need to do it again. Replace the brakes app evey 18 months. Poor headlights at night.

It's Been a Pleasure
By dbatten

1992 Toyota Previa Deluxe 3dr Minivan

I just recently sold my Previa that I had for the last six years and when the new owner drove it away I actually felt guilty. It was like I had betrayed an old friend that had looked after me time and again but had asked next to nothing in return. This van is large, with a 4 cyl engine that seems like a 6 cyl with excellent fuel economy. Some say that the 2.4 liter motor is one of the most reliable made by any manufacturer. I can't argue. My family grew up in this van and the kids still didn't want me to sell it but basically this van outlived me. I'll miss it. Oh yeah! Guess what the new owner was driving when he came and bought the van from me? A '91 Previa. Enough said.

Favorite Features

Good fuel economy, excellent turning radius, fold up rear seats, able to take a 4x8 sheet of plywood or couch and close the rear door, loads of room to separate kids from fighting, reliability. My wife liked being able to recline and put her feet up on the glove box, she slept for hours there.

Suggested Improvements

None I can think of.

Lov my Prev
By sabdulrafi

1992 Toyota Previa LE 3dr Minivan

I love my Previa and am really distressed about having to get a new car. In 13 years the only trouble I had was due to an additional alarm system, put on by an independent company. I like feeling as though I am driving a car, even though without the seats my van is huge. I have moved my entire household save the fridge. It also slept five when we camped in it on a trip. I have bought new brakes twice while I had been accustomed to yearly visits in the past. I'm not sure if we were just blessed with our van or if the model is wonderful. Anyway my family has grown and it would be ecologically wasteful for me to continue in it. So it's goodbye Previa hello again Corolla.

Favorite Features

I really enjoy the dual moonroof/sunroof, automatic door locks, swivel side mirrors, split rear fold-up seats and so much more. If I could get a new one I would buy it all over again.

Suggested Improvements

For my body type the front captain seat curves in a bit too much and the head rest interfers with some hairstyles. I also don't like the sound from the brakes when I have to slam on them. I put premium gas which is also quite costly for this stage of life. My van deserved no less.