Used 1992 Toyota Previa Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Toyota Previa - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Previa model:

The Matriarch
By otterkin

1992 Toyota Previa LE 3dr Minivan

This is a fantastic van. My family bought the car used in 1995, and I inherited it as my first car after high school. It took us cross-country 3 times and up and down both coasts. Unfortunately, it just blew a head gasket at over 300,000 miles. I don't have the money to rebuild the engine, so this Previa's days are done. :-( The Previa always had some electrical problems with the interior lights and the moonroof, but those were minor. Other then a repair bill of 3,000 in 2003 I believe, it's been low-maintenance. Truly a spectacular car.

Favorite Features

Cargo capacity, reliable road-trip car, tight turning radius, handles well in rain, can get good mpg if you drive 55mph on the freeways.

Suggested Improvements

Gets stuck in anything (wet grass), poor mpg in city and in regular freeway use.

excellent vehicle
By mike pizziferro

1992 Toyota Previa LE 3dr Minivan

Probably the most reliable vehicle ever made by Toyota. Had this car for 8+ years never a problem or complaint just routine maintenance. 170,000 miles and going strong.

Favorite Features

Reliable as hell!

Great mileage
By Dick Kimple

1992 Toyota Previa LE 3dr Minivan

Bought this Previa new 19 years ago. We have a second home at 9500' in Colorado and loaded it many times for the trip to the mountains. Great mileage, grate vehicle. I have taken it in to trade 3 times and the dealers don't know what they are missing. My family will park it over my grave and plant flowers in it. My son is expecting our 1st grand child and he wants it. He lives in Ft. Collins and it will make a great Colorado car. Only has 180,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Mileage, room, space age look are my favorite features. Also love the way the 3rd row seats swing easily out of the way. Will carry a full size sofa. Room for a casket, I'm a funeral director. Can accommodate 6 pall bearers and a driver.

Suggested Improvements

Could handle wind and dips better. Heater and defrost could be improved. Sliding door lock sticks sometimes.

310,000 miles and still reliable!
By WBR

1992 Toyota Previa LE All-Trac 3dr Minivan AWD

An amazing Minivan. At over 310K, we have had only one major fix. Around 180K we had to replace the front driveshaft for a little more than $2,000. Everything else has been wear and tear: brakes, lights, lights in dash, turn signal, springs in door locks, radio, bearings in sliding door, gas shocks on the back hatch, recharging the A/C. We have gone on numerous long, long trips. It's always reliable and safe. Great visibility, drives like a nimble car and the all wheel drive has taken 6-7 skiing many times. When the ice and snow hits, we always make it to work. I bought it used after reading a Consumer Reports eval on used vans. The Previa was rated number 1. I can vouch for that now.

Favorite Features

Reliability. Leg room. Roomy. I can lay a sheet of plywood in the back flat with the bench seat out. The rear seats flip up and out of the way.

Suggested Improvements

I should have gotten the tow package. The hubcap paint wears off after about 5 years. Get nice wheels instead, it's cheaper in the long run. The dash lights and door lock springs should be easier to change. I've done each once.

350,000 and just needed work
By mama1948

1992 Toyota Previa LE All-Trac 3dr Minivan AWD

I bought the Previa because all four boys could sit in the car comfortably. Nobody's head touched the ceiling in the back. There were shoulder seat belts for three in back. The seats would fold down so the boys could nap comfortably. Its tough for a 6 foot teen ager to be comfortable sleeping sitting up. The seats folded together to make a bed. There was plenty of hauling space. I was comfortable while driving. The car was up high enough to see over most cars. I have never had any trouble driving in ice and snow. We've driven from Olympia, WA to Pasadena to watch the Huskies play in the Rose Bowl every year they played. Drove down to visit family in San Diego and Phoenix a bunch, too.

Favorite Features

Reliable, lots of room, reliable, handles well, reliable,seats the whole family and oh, yeah, its reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Possibly, in reading the other reviews, the front end crash could be a bit dangerous. Is that why they stopped making them? Couldn't they have done something else to toughen up the front end other than to stop making them? or were they too reliable and we weren't back buying more often enough?