Used 1994 Toyota Pickup DX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Toyota Pickup - Consumer Reviews

1994 Toyota Pickup

View reviews for a specific Pickup model:

favorite of the Taliban
By hugho

1994 Toyota Pickup DX 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

This is my first Toyota Truck. I have 2 dodge cummins 4x4s and this is my new favorite 4x4. I purchased the truck very cheaply because it was overdue on maintenance and was involved in a fender bender. She needed front axles,brakes, service all around, tires, replacement of lubricants and a tune up including valve adjustment and timing chain inspection as well as some simple replacement of body panels and belts and hoses etc. I am a mechanic who can work on any vehicle and my impression of the truck is it's durable, overbuilt and easy to service and replace parts. The 4 cyl has excellent economy, the V6 is very poor by contrast and access is tighter than in the 4.

Favorite Features

Excellent fuel economy, load carrying and off road capability with large overbuilt drive components comparable to conventional American pickups, superb road clearance and reliable easy to service powerplant and drivetrain. Good economy:26 mpg on the hwy. Chevy 6 bolt wheels even bolt up.

Suggested Improvements

Crappy bench seat, flimsy bumpers and brittle plastic dash but if you can find a 4 cyl 5 spd 4x4 in decent condition, buy it! Avoid automatics and V6 models for their lousy economy. A 2500 lb pickup should get better than 12-18 mpg! The 4 cyl 5 speed is a jewel.

Keep going
By Pleasant Ridge

1994 Toyota Pickup DX 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Purchased this truck in 2003 with 125K on the truck.. Paid 4,500 @ that time and had timing chain and clutch work done.. Today @ 220K put another timing chain kit and oil pump, water pump and new belts on the truck.. What can I say the truck has been super for what I do drive it to work and crawl around in the mountains with it.. The way it is running now I am hoping to put another 80K on it.. Man what a truck.. I looked at new trucks but I just couldn't see the value in a new truck when this thing keeps going and going and going.. Thank you Toyota, the 22RE will have to go down in history as one of the greatest engines of all time... I am asked daily to price the truck.. No Way!!!

Favorite Features

Reliability, dependability, longevity..

Suggested Improvements

Build the same truck again..

Reliable and Dependable
By tkwdv

1994 Toyota Pickup DX 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck in Jan 97. It had 50k on it and I quickly found it was fun and dependable to drive in the snow. A few years later I put the biggest tires on it I could (30.5). What a change in the ride. This has been a great truck for me. It now has 132k and still runs great. I've had to replace the battery (like I didn't know that was going happen sooner or later) and the alternator. The only other thing I've had to replace was the U-joint. Mechanic said the de-icer put on the highways by WA state DOT is corrosive and caused the break down in the U-joint. Clutch feels like it is on its last leg, but I've been hard on it trying to pull stumps out and such. Overall, GREAT TRUCK!!!

Favorite Features

It's a truck!!

Suggested Improvements

Larger tires as a standard feature. Makes for a much smoother ride.

3 Engines, 118,000 miles
By Ned

1994 Toyota Pickup DX 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck after it had a new engine put in it at 112,000. I assumed that it would would be reliable, Wrong! I had to get a brand new $4,000 engine! After spending $4250 on the truck in the first place. This truck is very slow, you have to push the engine every time you accelerate from a stop light just to keep up with traffic!

Favorite Features

Off-road capabilities, ground clearance, the exterior looks (mine has a small amount rust for its vintage). Power steering and brakes. Large load capacity, simple controls, good heater, Engine is easy to work on.

Suggested Improvements

Come on Toyota, put in a engine that can actually haul the heavy truck! Since the engine is soo small, you actually get worse gas mileage because the engine has to work so hard. Forget about accelerating in 4WD.

1994 toyota pickup
By JV0177

1994 Toyota Pickup DX 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Great utilitarian truck. this is not for someone who expects their truck to drive or feel like a car. Very impressed with reliability. this truck can go anywhere... 4Low and go! With decent tires this truck is unstoppable! Respectable fuel economy for a truck.

Favorite Features

Go anywhere ability. Good fuel economy. Utilitarian nature.

Suggested Improvements

Factory stereo provisions unimpressive. Even with five speed could use more highay pep, but good down low.