Used 1993 Toyota Pickup Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Toyota Pickup - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pickup model:

1993 toyota pickup
By johnnymoto

1993 Toyota Pickup 2dr Regular Cab SB

Mine has 499,200 miles, replaced timing chain stuff at 400,000. I bought it in 95 with 19,000 miles on it. Still a daily driver.

Favorite Features

Still gets 33 mpg. Most expensive maintenance is just replacing tires every 70,000 - 90,000 miles.

Suggested Improvements

If they made the same truck now, they couldn't make enough to keep up with sales.

Solid Truck That Will Last Forever
By polishdude88

1993 Toyota Pickup Deluxe V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

My dad bought this truck brand new in '93 and I've been driving it for the past 8 years. The truck is so solid and has never failed me. It pretty much sat for 4 years while I was in college and still runs great! Over the past 2 years I've driven nearly 50k all across the US (through Florida thunderstorms, Midwest snowstorms, and sweltering Southwest deserts and I just hit 200k miles. Just recently had to put a new clutch plate, which is the second new one. When I hit 200k I got new rod arms, dampers, and bushings in the front as well as a full fluid change, and 4x4 alignment among other things. This thing now runs like a brand new truck. I doubt I will ever sell it

Favorite Features

4x4 has never failed, starts right up in -20 weather, gets 20 MPG highway, camper shell with carpet kit. It's very fun to drive and handles like a car, unless you're making a u-turn. I've gotten all work done at Toyota dealerships and the last time the guy told me that putting $3,500 into it was an investment. I know this truck will take me another 300,000+ miles all over the U.S. As long as you keep up with regular maintenance, you're Toyota will be loyal to you until the End of the World

Not bad, but not legendary
By Adam Omelianchuk

1993 Toyota Pickup 2dr Regular Cab SB

These trucks are known for legendary reliability and toughness, but that has not been my experience. The 2.4 22RE is pretty solid and burns well. It produces a fair amount of torque for its class and makes acceptable MPG. The biggest problem I had was the timing chain loosening inside the engine and making a definite rattling noise. I had this replaced at 85,000-- $1500. The starters and exhaust are terrible and need replacement multiple times. However, it is handy and outperforms the competition in its class in every category. Don't be fooled by tall tales. Research thoroughly.

Just keeps rolling along
By Canadian

1993 Toyota Pickup Deluxe 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Currently about 480,000 km, little problem with the O2 sensor but a TOTALLY reliable little truck. Been over 12,000 ft, starts at 40 below, hauled a 12,000 lb load (really slowly but!). Starting to rust badly (salty roads) but a real little treasure!

Favorite Features

Reliability, great (bit crude but NO problems) 4 wd capabilities.

Suggested Improvements

Softer ride?

Best 4x4 I've owned
By bob in Houston

1993 Toyota Pickup SR5 V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

I wasn't looking for another truck but found mine with only 28000 miles on it, so I couldn't resist. The 290k mile 95 Nissan it replaced was also a good truck but was showing some age and still sold for $2000! I love the quiet ride and cloth interior is both grippy and comfy with great driver seat adjustability [SR-5 package was nicely detailed]. The extended cab is spacious for what it is and has some nice hidden compartments under the rear seats. Mine has the flip up sunroof and rear side windows along with the rear slider for lots of air when A/C isn't needed. Steering is precise and true. Trans and clutch are smooth and easy to use. I got a great deal and will sell it after 250k miles only.

Favorite Features

Ext cab, long wheelbase, smooth ride and trans, comfy seats, unstoppable 4x4, clean body style, Toyota quality and corporate support [their verifiable head gasket rebuild program convinced me to buy], and the generally overbuilt feel of the truck. I got a great deal on a great vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Better MPG would be nice, cup holders are placed poorly, painted plastic grille chips easily power windows/locks/mirrors should have been standard on SR-5 package. Typical 4x4 groaning bushings on front end when stressed.