1992 Toyota Pickup Consumer Review: The Little Truck that Could

1992 Toyota Pickup - Consumer Review

Deluxe Extended Cab Pickup (2.4L 4-cyl. 4x4 5-speed Manual)

The Little Truck that Could
By Old Blue on

1992 Toyota Pickup Deluxe 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I knew the previous owner conducted all the factory-recommended maintenance and had the very competent dealership do it so I jumped at the chance to buy this. I'm hard on my rigs and "Old Blue" with the 3.0L V6 takes it. I tow and launch a 21' sailboat in the mountains every summer weekend. I've hauled or towed every building material that a person can buy, and the truck just says "where do you want this?". I now have 200,000 miles on it and it has had the clutch redone, new tie-rod ends, new muffler, 2 front brake jobs and one rear, new E- brake cable, headlights, new decals, and a few other running-gear repairs. As for the engine, fuggetaboudit: It's a miniaturized tank.

20 MPG. Granny 4WD available for the boat launch. Very quiet and well- mannered at 80 MPH. Great tow capacity and long wheelbase. I gets in and I just goes... not a whole lot of shop time. The 60/40 bench seat works for my lifestyle. Good acoustics for installing a better sound system.

Just a a few more CCs and this rig would have the goop for towing my boat faster on the hills here. The seats could use a little more support. What's up with removing the grille to replace a headlight?