Used 1992 Toyota Pickup Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Toyota Pickup - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pickup model:

The Little Truck that Could
By Old Blue

1992 Toyota Pickup Extended Cab Deluxe 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I knew the previous owner conducted all the factory-recommended maintenance and had the very competent dealership do it so I jumped at the chance to buy this. I'm hard on my rigs and "Old Blue" with the 3.0L V6 takes it. I tow and launch a 21' sailboat in the mountains every summer weekend. I've hauled or towed every building material that a person can buy, and the truck just says "where do you want this?". I now have 200,000 miles on it and it has had the clutch redone, new tie-rod ends, new muffler, 2 front brake jobs and one rear, new E- brake cable, headlights, new decals, and a few other running-gear repairs. As for the engine, fuggetaboudit: It's a miniaturized tank.

Favorite Features

20 MPG. Granny 4WD available for the boat launch. Very quiet and well- mannered at 80 MPH. Great tow capacity and long wheelbase. I gets in and I just goes... not a whole lot of shop time. The 60/40 bench seat works for my lifestyle. Good acoustics for installing a better sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Just a a few more CCs and this rig would have the goop for towing my boat faster on the hills here. The seats could use a little more support. What's up with removing the grille to replace a headlight?

300,000 miles and stlll going
By john the baptist

1992 Toyota Pickup Extended Cab Deluxe 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought in 1993 w 19,000 miles, now have 320,000 miles. Have changed fuel pump twice, the mass air flow sensor (while under warranty) clutch twice, and transmission. Got brakes pads with life time warranty, early on, great deal that. Got 29-30 miles per gallon and lower 20's in town. Had wreck, and got car repainted, hit deer, got car repainted again. Put rhinoliner on bed, car looks almost new. Engine has low oil pressure at idle when warm, guess time to rebuild engine. Never going to give this vehicle up.

Favorite Features

like the simplicity, like all the gauges great heater, good air conditioning. great visibility

Suggested Improvements

would not change anything.

Ultimate Reliability
By Vic

1992 Toyota Pickup Extended Cab Deluxe 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck with 225,00 miles for work. Now with 358,000 trouble-free miles it still performs as new. It can haul a 2,000 lb.load when needed, cruise at 80 mph all day, deliver 20-24 mpg. All this with the legendary 22RE engine,4WD, auto transmission and nothing leaks on my driveway. Motor & trans have NEVER failed... still has original starter & AC compressor (R-12). Drive train is still intact and no U-joints are loose. AC still blows cold after after 17 years without failure. Auto trans shifts as new. Engine does not smoke and is very quiet. This truck is the ULTIMATE in reliability. This truck was overbuilt as I know of two other trucks in South Dakota with 500K & 700K on them so mine is not an anomaly... Toyota trucks are built for the long haul.

Favorite Features

Long wheelbase gives a smooth ride and the 60/40 reclining seats are comfortable on long trips. The engine starts first time every time and never breaks. How many engines with nearly 400,000 miles can run wide open up a mountain without fear of blowing up?

Suggested Improvements

None.

Dies Hard
By thehub

1992 Toyota Pickup Extended Cab Deluxe 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have three 'twenty something' children, and despite their best efforts to 'kill' my little truck, it has defied the odds. It has dents that 'no one' knows how they got there. It has had three passenger side mirrors. How they get knocked off is anybody's guess. I have had this truck for 54 months, and if I could turn back the hands of time and make it a 'brand new' 1992 to start over with, I would.

Favorite Features

Extended cab. My dog is convinced it is his truck. He simply lets me ride him around in it-with him riding in the extended cab, of course. For a seventeen year old truck the a/c still works great.

Suggested Improvements

Make the opening rear glass more sturdy. It is hard to keep closed and water free now.

My Best Friend!
By rodeobear

1992 Toyota Pickup Extended Cab Deluxe 2dr Extended Cab SB

This was the first 1991 extended cab sold by what was then a brand new dealership in my area. I love it! I drove it all over the South for about 7 years and moved to Wisconsin about 10 years ago. LaToya has had her oil changed every 3K miles, had 2 new batteries, front brakes twice (still has the factory back brakes), shocks, muffler and tailpipe, 4 sets of tires, two tune- ups and lots of polishing. Just today (1/22/09) I stopped by the parts store to buy her some new belts (first time). I am still running on the factory hoses and they seem fine at 230,000 miles. She was undercoated when new and touched-up when we moved to WI. NO rust, not even on the frame.

Favorite Features

The back seat, for people and stuff. Reliable air conditioner (no service yet). Great engine!

Suggested Improvements

None!