1992 Toyota Pickup Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pickup model:
The Little Truck that Could
By Old Blue on 10/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Toyota Pickup Extended Cab Deluxe 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I knew the previous owner conducted all the factory-recommended maintenance and had the very competent dealership do it so I jumped at the chance to buy this. I'm hard on my rigs and "Old Blue" with the 3.0L V6 takes it. I tow and launch a 21' sailboat in the mountains every summer weekend. I've hauled or towed every building material that a person can buy, and the truck just says "where do you want this?". I now have 200,000 miles on it and it has had the clutch redone, new tie-rod ends, new muffler, 2 front brake jobs and one rear, new E- brake cable, headlights, new decals, and a few other running-gear repairs. As for the engine, fuggetaboudit: It's a miniaturized tank.

300,000 miles and stlll going
By john the baptist on 03/09/10 07:20 AM (PST)

1992 Toyota Pickup Extended Cab Deluxe 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought in 1993 w 19,000 miles, now have 320,000 miles. Have changed fuel pump twice, the mass air flow sensor (while under warranty) clutch twice, and transmission. Got brakes pads with life time warranty, early on, great deal that. Got 29-30 miles per gallon and lower 20's in town. Had wreck, and got car repainted, hit deer, got car repainted again. Put rhinoliner on bed, car looks almost new. Engine has low oil pressure at idle when warm, guess time to rebuild engine. Never going to give this vehicle up.

Ultimate Reliability
By Vic on 07/27/09 16:49 PM (PDT)

1992 Toyota Pickup Extended Cab Deluxe 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck with 225,00 miles for work. Now with 358,000 trouble-free miles it still performs as new. It can haul a 2,000 lb.load when needed, cruise at 80 mph all day, deliver 20-24 mpg. All this with the legendary 22RE engine,4WD, auto transmission and nothing leaks on my driveway. Motor & trans have NEVER failed... still has original starter & AC compressor (R-12). Drive train is still intact and no U-joints are loose. AC still blows cold after after 17 years without failure. Auto trans shifts as new. Engine does not smoke and is very quiet. This truck is the ULTIMATE in reliability. This truck was overbuilt as I know of two other trucks in South Dakota with 500K & 700K on them so mine is not an anomaly... Toyota trucks are built for the long haul.

Dies Hard
By thehub on 06/08/09 12:17 PM (PDT)

1992 Toyota Pickup Extended Cab Deluxe 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have three 'twenty something' children, and despite their best efforts to 'kill' my little truck, it has defied the odds. It has dents that 'no one' knows how they got there. It has had three passenger side mirrors. How they get knocked off is anybody's guess. I have had this truck for 54 months, and if I could turn back the hands of time and make it a 'brand new' 1992 to start over with, I would.

My Best Friend!
By rodeobear on 01/22/09 19:20 PM (PST)

1992 Toyota Pickup Extended Cab Deluxe 2dr Extended Cab SB

This was the first 1991 extended cab sold by what was then a brand new dealership in my area. I love it! I drove it all over the South for about 7 years and moved to Wisconsin about 10 years ago. LaToya has had her oil changed every 3K miles, had 2 new batteries, front brakes twice (still has the factory back brakes), shocks, muffler and tailpipe, 4 sets of tires, two tune- ups and lots of polishing. Just today (1/22/09) I stopped by the parts store to buy her some new belts (first time). I am still running on the factory hoses and they seem fine at 230,000 miles. She was undercoated when new and touched-up when we moved to WI. NO rust, not even on the frame.

Great truck
By Mike on 11/01/06 03:11 AM (PST)

1992 Toyota Pickup Extended Cab Deluxe 2dr Extended Cab SB

Great truck and very easy to work on! These trucks will last forever, or close to it.

Great truck from the start
By RFEP on 08/01/06 18:54 PM (PDT)

1992 Toyota Pickup Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased the truck brand new and have driven from California to Mississippi, and Tulsa OK to the Mexico border with this truck. It's only 4 cyl. and has never left me stranded. Much of the driving was pulling a 16' fiberglass boat. Tough to get out of the ramps at the lake with the taller gearing but other than that I love it. Rebuild motor at 220,000. Now have 467,000 miles on it. Still runs great. Best vehicle by far I have ever owned.

Best truck I will EVER drive
By yota1 on 01/31/06 17:34 PM (PST)

1992 Toyota Pickup Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This has been a great truck ... far more than expected overall. I have over 300,000 miles on it and have no plans to replace it. As with ANY vehicle, MAINTENANCE is the key to keeping them going this long. Fluids and filter OFTEN will save you THOUSANDS in repair cost and vehicle replacement cost. I have changed ALL fluids at least once a year (oil and filter every 3,000 miles). There is an issue with the engines on these - head gasket failure (usually coolant passage to #6 combustion chamber). I have had to replace the gasket 3 times now (once before the updated gaskets came out and twice after). Still a great rig and still much better than expected.I havn't even had to replace a U-JOINT!

If You Find One, Buy It
By Joseph the Egyptian on 05/21/05 12:07 PM (PDT)

1992 Toyota Pickup Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've driven this truck hard for five years, and found that it's not only a handsome and smooth-driving truck, but extremely reliable. Toyota nuts tell me that the '92 and '93 model years were the best trucks Toyota ever made (except for the old "Jungle Jim" Land Cruisers, which burn more fuel than a space shuttle). Parts are easy to find, and reasonable (especially if you buy them from Auto Zone or Pep Boys and install them yourself). Truck handles very well off-road, and cruises nicely at 80 MPH all day on the interstate. Note that owner's manual specifies that one not use gas of octane below 91 (they mean it; use 94 octane if you can).

A GREAT LITTLE TRUCK
By golfertom on 03/27/05 12:12 PM (PST)

1992 Toyota Pickup Extended Cab Deluxe 2dr Extended Cab SB

I love this truck. Runs great, very reliable. Never had a bit of trouble. New battery, tires, shocks, change fluids regularly are all that has been done. The engine is bulletproof.