Used 1992 Toyota Pickup Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Toyota Pickup - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pickup model:

1992 Toyota Truck 20 plus years and running Strong
By tricksten

1992 Toyota Pickup 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought the truck new in 4-1992 It came equipped with a heater and a key. Another words base model paid $6,999.00 My base model was built in Japan. I have 218,000 miles and will keep forever. The truck has been stolen, Taken a bullet didnt live a good neighbor hood. Broken into several times. ha ha I have let everyone and anyone drive and use and abuse the truck. Has original belts Changed front brake pads once. Did put a new clutch only after the truck was recovered after it was stolen. They hauling something heavy other wise I would be on the same clutch and a new battery 12 years ago

Favorite Features

Starts up with turn of key every time, hauling and towing capacity, Low maintenance, reliability, minimal expense. other then oil change and tires every once in a while. It only has 218,000 so I don't think its even broken in yet. It runs so strong and burns Zero oil. The Truck is perfect in every way!

Suggested Improvements

I cant suggest any Improvements. If there is a fault I haven't found it yet

Terrific transportation
By tughillb

1992 Toyota Pickup 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought in 1993 for $9500 with 9,000 miles on it. Manual says change oil at 7,000 miles-I change it every 3,000. Outside of routine maintenance,over the 16 yrs I've owned it I have had to replace the brakes, battery, clutch, radiator, U-joints, windshield wipers, tail pipe (not including muffler!), thermostat, tailgate latch. Pretty cheap transportation, when you divide it all by 16 years. Plus, despite the published figures, I get 26 mpg highway. First 3 yrs used for 30 mile daily commute to work, then for personal and business (truck gardening) 9 mi from nearest town, 6 of those over dirt roads-very bumpy, terrible on tires, chronically very dirty body. Still practically no body rust. Excellent overall.

Favorite Features

Wind up windows, general lack of frills that get out of order and are expensive to fix.

Suggested Improvements

Tenth of a mile position on odometer, wish I had bought 4WD, door locks slip down too easily - Too easy to get locked out. But you can overcome that by using your noodle!

Still Running
By Still Running

1992 Toyota Pickup 2dr Regular Cab SB

Reliable. The 22RE 2.4 liter engine and transmission are rock solid. A simple vehicle with no frills that provides reliable transportation. Change the oil and the other fluids. Only minor repairs over time. Easy to work on. A great value. The 22RE engine is an engineering marvel.

Favorite Features

Reliable, economical, and good utility.

Suggested Improvements

Air vent fan, windshield wiper water pump, dome light plastic cover, ignition/steering wheel cover case and passenger window handles wear out over time. But, the truck still runs and the body and interior is still in good condition.

Bad ass Ride
By turbo17

1992 Toyota Pickup 2dr Regular Cab SB

The best bang for your buck around. Nothing beats the Japanese 22RE motors. I wish they still made them. =( A few mods and you have a 2700 lb 200 + hp rocket ship.

Favorite Features

22RE engine

Suggested Improvements

Put a turbo, lightweight 9 lb flywheel, exhaust, header, intake system, pulley, and some cams.

experts in reliability
By thief

1992 Toyota Pickup 2dr Regular Cab SB

When I bought this truck in March of 2001 it had approx. 85k miles on it. Now it has 119k miles. I have used the truck for all kinds of driving (from 3000 mile long road trips to pizza delivery) and, so far, I haven't had any major work done to it. Although the truck isn't the most comfortable or fun to drive vehicle it does come through where it counts; reliability.

Favorite Features

cost of maintanance (very low), gas mileage, and engine torque.

Suggested Improvements

stock bench seat springs are beginning to sag (I'm not a heavy man), base stock speakers could use some improvement.