Used 1992 Toyota Pickup Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Toyota Pickup - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pickup model:

Most Helpful|
1992 Toyota Truck 20 plus years and running Strong
By tricksten

1992 Toyota Pickup 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought the truck new in 4-1992 It came equipped with a heater and a key. Another words base model paid $6,999.00 My base model was built in Japan. I have 218,000 miles and will keep forever. The truck has been stolen, Taken a bullet didnt live a good neighbor hood. Broken into several times. ha ha I have let everyone and anyone drive and use and abuse the truck. Has original belts Changed front brake pads once. Did put a new clutch only after the truck was recovered after it was stolen. They hauling something heavy other wise I would be on the same clutch and a new battery 12 years ago

Favorite Features

Starts up with turn of key every time, hauling and towing capacity, Low maintenance, reliability, minimal expense. other then oil change and tires every once in a while. It only has 218,000 so I don't think its even broken in yet. It runs so strong and burns Zero oil. The Truck is perfect in every way!

Suggested Improvements

I cant suggest any Improvements. If there is a fault I haven't found it yet

My first and last Toyota
By Redfox

1992 Toyota Pickup Deluxe 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

My brother bought this truck used @ about 60,000 miles and by the time it had 69,000 miles on it had the engine replaced(block cracked @ 79000) rear- end replaced and a hub replaced. I had to have a new head put on the Toyota factory engine that was used to replace the original engine(servicing Toyota dealer my brother used was poor on quality work), another new hub(again, same one my brother replaced but I use a reputable and much more expensive dealer), sensor, fuel cell(?), brake line redone, and everytime I take it in it is there for at least 3 days waiting on parts. I live for the day this thing is gone.

Favorite Features

When it is gone, that will be my favorite feature. It is fun to drive if you can get over the awful ride.

Suggested Improvements

The ride on the short-wheel base 4x4 models and corrosion resistance. Undercarriage is heavily corroded.

Best truck I will EVER drive
By yota1

1992 Toyota Pickup SR5 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This has been a great truck ... far more than expected overall. I have over 300,000 miles on it and have no plans to replace it. As with ANY vehicle, MAINTENANCE is the key to keeping them going this long. Fluids and filter OFTEN will save you THOUSANDS in repair cost and vehicle replacement cost. I have changed ALL fluids at least once a year (oil and filter every 3,000 miles). There is an issue with the engines on these - head gasket failure (usually coolant passage to #6 combustion chamber). I have had to replace the gasket 3 times now (once before the updated gaskets came out and twice after). Still a great rig and still much better than expected.I havn't even had to replace a U-JOINT!

Favorite Features

Automatic locking hubs

Suggested Improvements

More power, better fuel economy and an engine I don't have to replace the head gaskets every 92,000 miles. . .Other than that, GREAT JOB Toyota. I only hope you can continue to put out quality like this now (have not owned any newr Toyotas) and in the future!

experts in reliability
By thief

1992 Toyota Pickup 2dr Regular Cab SB

When I bought this truck in March of 2001 it had approx. 85k miles on it. Now it has 119k miles. I have used the truck for all kinds of driving (from 3000 mile long road trips to pizza delivery) and, so far, I haven't had any major work done to it. Although the truck isn't the most comfortable or fun to drive vehicle it does come through where it counts; reliability.

Favorite Features

cost of maintanance (very low), gas mileage, and engine torque.

Suggested Improvements

stock bench seat springs are beginning to sag (I'm not a heavy man), base stock speakers could use some improvement.

A GREAT LITTLE TRUCK
By golfertom

1992 Toyota Pickup Deluxe 2dr Extended Cab SB

I love this truck. Runs great, very reliable. Never had a bit of trouble. New battery, tires, shocks, change fluids regularly are all that has been done. The engine is bulletproof.

Suggested Improvements

Seat comfort is about the only area that could use some improvement.