1992 Toyota Pickup - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pickup model:
1992 Toyota Truck 20 plus years and running Strong
By tricksten on 07/16/12 20:51 PM (PDT)

1992 Toyota Pickup 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought the truck new in 4-1992 It came equipped with a heater and a key. Another words base model paid $6,999.00 My base model was built in Japan. I have 218,000 miles and will keep forever. The truck has been stolen, Taken a bullet didnt live a good neighbor hood. Broken into several times. ha ha I have let everyone and anyone drive and use and abuse the truck. Has original belts Changed front brake pads once. Did put a new clutch only after the truck was recovered after it was stolen. They hauling something heavy other wise I would be on the same clutch and a new battery 12 years ago

The Little Truck that Could
By Old Blue on 10/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Toyota Pickup Deluxe 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I knew the previous owner conducted all the factory-recommended maintenance and had the very competent dealership do it so I jumped at the chance to buy this. I'm hard on my rigs and "Old Blue" with the 3.0L V6 takes it. I tow and launch a 21' sailboat in the mountains every summer weekend. I've hauled or towed every building material that a person can buy, and the truck just says "where do you want this?". I now have 200,000 miles on it and it has had the clutch redone, new tie-rod ends, new muffler, 2 front brake jobs and one rear, new E- brake cable, headlights, new decals, and a few other running-gear repairs. As for the engine, fuggetaboudit: It's a miniaturized tank.

300,000 miles and stlll going
By john the baptist on 03/09/10 07:20 AM (PST)

1992 Toyota Pickup Deluxe 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought in 1993 w 19,000 miles, now have 320,000 miles. Have changed fuel pump twice, the mass air flow sensor (while under warranty) clutch twice, and transmission. Got brakes pads with life time warranty, early on, great deal that. Got 29-30 miles per gallon and lower 20's in town. Had wreck, and got car repainted, hit deer, got car repainted again. Put rhinoliner on bed, car looks almost new. Engine has low oil pressure at idle when warm, guess time to rebuild engine. Never going to give this vehicle up.

Terrific transportation
By tughillb on 12/20/09 08:21 AM (PST)

1992 Toyota Pickup 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought in 1993 for $9500 with 9,000 miles on it. Manual says change oil at 7,000 miles-I change it every 3,000. Outside of routine maintenance,over the 16 yrs I've owned it I have had to replace the brakes, battery, clutch, radiator, U-joints, windshield wipers, tail pipe (not including muffler!), thermostat, tailgate latch. Pretty cheap transportation, when you divide it all by 16 years. Plus, despite the published figures, I get 26 mpg highway. First 3 yrs used for 30 mile daily commute to work, then for personal and business (truck gardening) 9 mi from nearest town, 6 of those over dirt roads-very bumpy, terrible on tires, chronically very dirty body. Still practically no body rust. Excellent overall.

Ultimate Reliability
By Vic on 07/27/09 16:49 PM (PDT)

1992 Toyota Pickup Deluxe 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck with 225,00 miles for work. Now with 358,000 trouble-free miles it still performs as new. It can haul a 2,000 lb.load when needed, cruise at 80 mph all day, deliver 20-24 mpg. All this with the legendary 22RE engine,4WD, auto transmission and nothing leaks on my driveway. Motor & trans have NEVER failed... still has original starter & AC compressor (R-12). Drive train is still intact and no U-joints are loose. AC still blows cold after after 17 years without failure. Auto trans shifts as new. Engine does not smoke and is very quiet. This truck is the ULTIMATE in reliability. This truck was overbuilt as I know of two other trucks in South Dakota with 500K & 700K on them so mine is not an anomaly... Toyota trucks are built for the long haul.

Dies Hard
By thehub on 06/08/09 12:17 PM (PDT)

1992 Toyota Pickup Deluxe 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have three 'twenty something' children, and despite their best efforts to 'kill' my little truck, it has defied the odds. It has dents that 'no one' knows how they got there. It has had three passenger side mirrors. How they get knocked off is anybody's guess. I have had this truck for 54 months, and if I could turn back the hands of time and make it a 'brand new' 1992 to start over with, I would.

Still Running
By Still Running on 02/03/09 15:36 PM (PST)

1992 Toyota Pickup 2dr Regular Cab SB

Reliable. The 22RE 2.4 liter engine and transmission are rock solid. A simple vehicle with no frills that provides reliable transportation. Change the oil and the other fluids. Only minor repairs over time. Easy to work on. A great value. The 22RE engine is an engineering marvel.

My Best Friend!
By rodeobear on 01/22/09 19:20 PM (PST)

1992 Toyota Pickup Deluxe 2dr Extended Cab SB

This was the first 1991 extended cab sold by what was then a brand new dealership in my area. I love it! I drove it all over the South for about 7 years and moved to Wisconsin about 10 years ago. LaToya has had her oil changed every 3K miles, had 2 new batteries, front brakes twice (still has the factory back brakes), shocks, muffler and tailpipe, 4 sets of tires, two tune- ups and lots of polishing. Just today (1/22/09) I stopped by the parts store to buy her some new belts (first time). I am still running on the factory hoses and they seem fine at 230,000 miles. She was undercoated when new and touched-up when we moved to WI. NO rust, not even on the frame.

Cross Country 3 Times
By Celeste on 08/16/08 10:51 AM (PDT)

1992 Toyota Pickup Deluxe 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

This truck has been a real trooper for me. It's the first manual transmission I learned to drive, and since then I've taught many people in it. It's got 185,000 miles right now, and the only repairs I've had on it was a knock sensor and a head gasket. It's been driven from California to North Carolina 3 times, including a side trip into Canada. I've loaded it down with lumber, driven it in snow, extreme heat, high altitudes, and it's just kept going. I get many offers to buy this truck, and it's in big demand by hunters, but I might just drive it forever.

Best Small PU that I ever owned !
By TMills on 07/03/08 10:22 AM (PDT)

1992 Toyota Pickup Deluxe 2dr Regular Cab SB

This truck is like the energizer bunny, it never stops running. Now have 151000 miles and am transferring over to a contractor, to be put to real work. He will get at least 250000 out of it. I am on my way to look at a new one right now.