1990 Toyota Pickup Consumer Review: ol' blue

1990 Toyota Pickup - Consumer Review

SR5 Regular Cab Pickup (2.4L 4-cyl. 4x4 5-speed Manual)

ol' blue
By ted e. on

1990 Toyota Pickup SR5 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Bought this truck used off of the Toyota sales lot with 86 miles on it. Original owner could not qualify for the loan, so it was sold as a titled car. I do not believe that I have ever purchased ANYTHING in my life that can compare with the value in this truck. Truck shows 187,500 miles on the odometer, however it failed in 1997, and I continue to use the truck in construction as a daily driver. I had the manual transmission rebuilt with an estimated 295,000 miles due to a sleeve (?) which slightly lowered the gears. Mechanic said that the clutch could have been put back in. Brakes, radiator, and about 90 oil changes is the balance of what has been done.

Simple construction (i.e. almost no electronics except the e.f.i.) keeps it on the road. No power anything except for the steering makes soft failures of the truck easy to fix and keeps you running. My wife always asks me to go out and buy another truck, I tell her I already got one.

From what I see out there I do not believe that manufacturers make such a basic truck anymore. If you can find a used one like mine, for a couple of grand that has not been modified from stock, you could have a beautiful relationship.