Used 1990 Toyota Pickup Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Toyota Pickup Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pickup model:

My little reliable truck...love it
By antoniah

1990 Toyota Pickup Regular Cab Deluxe 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Have had this truck for almost 14 years and have 170K on it...it only had one recall on it and that was about 12 years ago. Just replace oil, fluids, and tires...it just goes and goes. It's a Hi-lux...somebody boosted it long ago and it has great clearance in the snow! I'm looking for a sedan now with a little better mileage, but I am thinking about keeping my Toyota. Hate to trade in a such a great vehicle.

Reliability, low gears, manual 4 wheel drive.

gas mileage

I miss my '90!
By Sparky

1990 Toyota Pickup Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

We just got a '08 Access Cab and like it but I miss my '90 base truck! Wife could handle the seats and no power steering, etc., so it was time to "age adjust" to a truck with all those comfort features. The new one is nice but my '90 was plain and tough as nails. Only time it ever refused to start was when I left the lights on and drained the battery. Only good news is I sold the truck to a friend in Oregon and he loves it and sings its praises all the time. Funny thing, his wife has the same issue too! A guy thing I guess!

Indestructible 22RE engine. I hope the new truck is as reliable! Decent mileage and plenty of pep, but it only had a 4-speed to explain some of that.

Only single thing was the tiny gas tank, 10 gallons or so always had me planning where the next station was as I headed into the hills.

Love my 4X4 toy
By badsiin

1990 Toyota Pickup Regular Cab Deluxe 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Bought this truck from my landscaper. It had 159000, the actual mileage on it now is 196000 and still going strong. Replaced the air filter with cold air, it sure adds up horsepower to it. I replaced the bench seat with bucket seats from a Honda Prelude. It sure is more comfortable. I love my 1990 Toyota 4X4 truck.

Reliability, style, and ease to work on.

Seats.

ol' blue
By ted e.

1990 Toyota Pickup Regular Cab SR5 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Bought this truck used off of the Toyota sales lot with 86 miles on it. Original owner could not qualify for the loan, so it was sold as a titled car. I do not believe that I have ever purchased ANYTHING in my life that can compare with the value in this truck. Truck shows 187,500 miles on the odometer, however it failed in 1997, and I continue to use the truck in construction as a daily driver. I had the manual transmission rebuilt with an estimated 295,000 miles due to a sleeve (?) which slightly lowered the gears. Mechanic said that the clutch could have been put back in. Brakes, radiator, and about 90 oil changes is the balance of what has been done.

Simple construction (i.e. almost no electronics except the e.f.i.) keeps it on the road. No power anything except for the steering makes soft failures of the truck easy to fix and keeps you running. My wife always asks me to go out and buy another truck, I tell her I already got one.

From what I see out there I do not believe that manufacturers make such a basic truck anymore. If you can find a used one like mine, for a couple of grand that has not been modified from stock, you could have a beautiful relationship.

Great Truck
By dgfpbhs77

1990 Toyota Pickup Regular Cab Deluxe 2dr Regular Cab SB

I purchased this truck almost five years ago from the original owner. It has been the most trouble free vehicle I have ever owned. 173,000 miles and still going strong. I replaced the original clutch at 159,000 miles. The paint is almost gone and it's starting to rust but it just keeps running and running and ..........

Tough as nails reliability.

Better seats.