1990 Toyota Pickup Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pickup model:
It's been fun!
By ryanclowe29 on 02/24/12 02:16 AM (PST)

1990 Toyota Pickup Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

My father bought this very basic truck new for $6988 as a loss leader in late 1989. We are talking a vinyl bench seat, no AC, no power steering, and no radio. He put a lot of really tough short trips on it and didn't do much for maintenance except change the oil. I inherited it in 1997 with less than 100K miles and though it hadn't had any problems, it already needed a new clutch. Despite that, it remained reliable- a clutch master cylinder in 2000 and new radiator in 2001 at 133K. It started leaking out of the front seal a little at about 180K. Finally, at 196K, it's tough life caught up to it and it blew the head gasket Not bad, all things considering. Now it has 230K on it and

Simply The Best
By Gene on 04/28/10 18:44 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Pickup Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

I purchased this truck new in August 1990. It’s been nothing short of spectacular. I’ve owned five ford’s three Chevy’s and none of them began to match the performance of this vehicle. The original cost was reasonable. The overall performance has been exceptional. It ahs been absolutely reliable., and the cost of operation is very manageable. Currently it has 160,000 flawless miles to it’s credit. This is an ultra simple vehicle without any of the bells and whistles that make so many of today’s trucks a nightmare. I honestly expect it to run for another twenty years without little more then routine maintenance.

Great truck
By GREAT TRUCK on 04/19/10 08:24 AM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Pickup Regular Cab Deluxe 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I have to agree with everyone this truck is amazing. It was my fathers truck and it was passed down to me about 8 years ago. I've put this truck through everything, haven't really gotten stuck anywhere when i go four wheeling. the truck has over 200,000 on it and wont die. I recently did a cross country trip with the truck it was 6,000 miles none stop round trip, didn't have one problem. I love this truck it is part of the family. Oh did i mention the engine was and is blown, and it still did it.

My Yota
By Dustin on 08/13/09 22:09 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Pickup Regular Cab SR5 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

My Toyota is the best truck I have ever had. I hardly ever get stuck in mud and snow. Its quiet. The only thing about it I don't like is the power. When I go up a steep hill it bogs down. Its a great truck for first time drivers. I think I will always drive Toyota.

My little reliable truck...love it
By antoniah on 06/07/09 09:43 AM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Pickup Regular Cab Deluxe 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Have had this truck for almost 14 years and have 170K on it...it only had one recall on it and that was about 12 years ago. Just replace oil, fluids, and tires...it just goes and goes. It's a Hi-lux...somebody boosted it long ago and it has great clearance in the snow! I'm looking for a sedan now with a little better mileage, but I am thinking about keeping my Toyota. Hate to trade in a such a great vehicle.

I miss my '90!
By Sparky on 06/06/08 13:13 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Pickup Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

We just got a '08 Access Cab and like it but I miss my '90 base truck! Wife could handle the seats and no power steering, etc., so it was time to "age adjust" to a truck with all those comfort features. The new one is nice but my '90 was plain and tough as nails. Only time it ever refused to start was when I left the lights on and drained the battery. Only good news is I sold the truck to a friend in Oregon and he loves it and sings its praises all the time. Funny thing, his wife has the same issue too! A guy thing I guess!

Love my 4X4 toy
By badsiin on 08/18/07 21:46 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Pickup Regular Cab Deluxe 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Bought this truck from my landscaper. It had 159000, the actual mileage on it now is 196000 and still going strong. Replaced the air filter with cold air, it sure adds up horsepower to it. I replaced the bench seat with bucket seats from a Honda Prelude. It sure is more comfortable. I love my 1990 Toyota 4X4 truck.

ol' blue
By ted e. on 02/27/06 15:37 PM (PST)

1990 Toyota Pickup Regular Cab SR5 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Bought this truck used off of the Toyota sales lot with 86 miles on it. Original owner could not qualify for the loan, so it was sold as a titled car. I do not believe that I have ever purchased ANYTHING in my life that can compare with the value in this truck. Truck shows 187,500 miles on the odometer, however it failed in 1997, and I continue to use the truck in construction as a daily driver. I had the manual transmission rebuilt with an estimated 295,000 miles due to a sleeve (?) which slightly lowered the gears. Mechanic said that the clutch could have been put back in. Brakes, radiator, and about 90 oil changes is the balance of what has been done.

Great Truck
By dgfpbhs77 on 09/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Pickup Regular Cab Deluxe 2dr Regular Cab SB

I purchased this truck almost five years ago from the original owner. It has been the most trouble free vehicle I have ever owned. 173,000 miles and still going strong. I replaced the original clutch at 159,000 miles. The paint is almost gone and it's starting to rust but it just keeps running and running and ..........

Simple Indestructible Truck
By Jimmy56 on 08/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Pickup Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

This truck is perfect. It is a small truck that can haul quite a bit. It has a very comfortable ride. the handeling is great, is reliable. Its simplicity makes it nearly industructible. the only trouble i have had with is was caused by driver stupidity. Its interior can easily accomadate someone who is 6 foot 3. There is not a thing I can say bad about this truck except that is uses a lot of fuel on back country roads while joy riding. There is no power anything so there is not much to break. All the switches and such are made well and have not created any problems.