Used 1990 Toyota Pickup Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Toyota Pickup - Consumer Reviews

1990 Toyota Pickup Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Pickup model:

The little Toyota.
By Jason

1990 Toyota Pickup Extended Cab Deluxe 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought the pickup at 170,000 miles less than a year ago. It has the 2.4 L 22re engine in 2wd, with a manual trans. The engine, transmission, rear end, and drive line are all original other then routine maintenance parts. (Belts, spark plugs, etc.) The pickup runs perfectly, always starts on the first try, and I know that I can depend on it. Even though it is 20 years old, the interior is pretty nice. The seats are comfortable, and have a large range of movement for different sized drivers. It is a perfect truck for anyone. May be used for tons of different functions with ease. Daily driver, farm, work, etc.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy. Being a 4cyl, 2wd, manual pickup, I get around 25 mpg combined. Very dependable. Excellent reliability. Functionality of a full size pickup, without the gas guzzling.

Suggested Improvements

Mine does not have AC. Luckily in western Oregon, we never really have severe heat.

Great truck
By chad

1990 Toyota Pickup Extended Cab Deluxe 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I am the second owner of this truck. Bought it with 13k miles on odometer. Currently has 88,300 pampered miles. Being that I live in Ohio (road salt, harsh winters), there is some rust around rear wheel Wells and had to purchase new tailgate. This thing has been through every terrain and regularly maintained.

Favorite Features

Awesome performance, great looks

Suggested Improvements

needs to be a little faster. kinda sluggish

Indestructible?
By Toy lover

1990 Toyota Pickup Extended Cab Deluxe 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Have had this as our "weekender" for about two years. Bought from the original owner. These little trucks maintain high resale here in California, and they deserve it! This thing is indestructible. Loves to go camping. Will 4 wheel through anything with our canoe on top. Happily goes to the dump, the landscape or the hardware store. Mileage is a little weak, 16/17ish around town, maybe 22 if I drive light on a long trip. Starting to look a little ragged, but know that at 177K it's just now broken in. Plan to keep it another 5 years, at least! What's not to love!??

Favorite Features

Reliability and simple design.

Suggested Improvements

Seems it should have been a little more efficient, but in 1990 who cared?

I Love My Little Truck!
By Mary

1990 Toyota Pickup Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I am the third owner of this little truck. The first time I saw it & drove it I fell in love with it & had to have it. My father-in law being a larger gentlemen was not at all comfortable in this smaller/made for petite people, vehicle. But it fit me like a glove. Took some convincing my hubby but he finally came around. The body now has quite a few rusted out places I would love to get fixed & the drivers seat does have a spot torn. But this little truck all in all is awesome. I think with enough care (& it doesn't take much) this truck would run forever. It only has about 115,000-120,000 miles & it keeps going. Love it. Did I say I love it?

My Truck
By Eric

1990 Toyota Pickup Extended Cab Deluxe 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought mine used in 92 with 28k on the clock. I still drive it and now have 160k miles. Not one mechanical problem. I have done recall on head gaskets. Seems to out 4x4 many other pickups. Just took my wife and two kids camping last weekend pulling a pop-up. We got 18.5 mpg! I'm so impressed with this truck, I think I'm going to do some custom work to it and keep it another 17 years. No Rust!

Favorite Features

Clearance, quiet, reliability, mileage, looks. Body panels are relatively thick, frame is boxed! Try to find that on most new trucks!

Suggested Improvements

The motor is underpowered from the factory due to emissions. Drivers side seat wears with use.