1990 Toyota Pickup - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pickup model:
Best truck for the money period, will do anything you ask of it and more!
By blkmrktbikz on 11/13/14 10:59 AM (PST)

1990 Toyota Pickup 2dr Regular Cab SB

I feel my faithful little toyota deserves some recognition and hopefully I can help ease the decision of someone looking to purchase a cheap, economical, and ultra reliable truck to do... pretty much anything. No you won't be winning drag races against newer full size trucks with V8's nor will you be towing your 45' luxury motor home however what you can do is way more than anyone would imagine. Those in auto mechanic scene know how amazing the little 22R 4 cylinder motor is and thats why these trucks are so sought after now. I purchased my truck 8 years ago and consistently haul over 1000lbs of cargo, and have run it hard since I bought it with 87,000 miles, it now has 178k running strong.

It's been fun!
By ryanclowe29 on 02/24/12 02:16 AM (PST)

1990 Toyota Pickup 2dr Regular Cab SB

My father bought this very basic truck new for $6988 as a loss leader in late 1989. We are talking a vinyl bench seat, no AC, no power steering, and no radio. He put a lot of really tough short trips on it and didn't do much for maintenance except change the oil. I inherited it in 1997 with less than 100K miles and though it hadn't had any problems, it already needed a new clutch. Despite that, it remained reliable- a clutch master cylinder in 2000 and new radiator in 2001 at 133K. It started leaking out of the front seal a little at about 180K. Finally, at 196K, it's tough life caught up to it and it blew the head gasket Not bad, all things considering. Now it has 230K on it and

Simply The Best
By Gene on 04/28/10 18:44 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Pickup 2dr Regular Cab SB

I purchased this truck new in August 1990. Itís been nothing short of spectacular. Iíve owned five fordís three Chevyís and none of them began to match the performance of this vehicle. The original cost was reasonable. The overall performance has been exceptional. It ahs been absolutely reliable., and the cost of operation is very manageable. Currently it has 160,000 flawless miles to itís credit. This is an ultra simple vehicle without any of the bells and whistles that make so many of todayís trucks a nightmare. I honestly expect it to run for another twenty years without little more then routine maintenance.

I miss my '90!
By Sparky on 06/06/08 13:13 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Pickup 2dr Regular Cab SB

We just got a '08 Access Cab and like it but I miss my '90 base truck! Wife could handle the seats and no power steering, etc., so it was time to "age adjust" to a truck with all those comfort features. The new one is nice but my '90 was plain and tough as nails. Only time it ever refused to start was when I left the lights on and drained the battery. Only good news is I sold the truck to a friend in Oregon and he loves it and sings its praises all the time. Funny thing, his wife has the same issue too! A guy thing I guess!

Simple Indestructible Truck
By Jimmy56 on 08/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Pickup 2dr Regular Cab SB

This truck is perfect. It is a small truck that can haul quite a bit. It has a very comfortable ride. the handeling is great, is reliable. Its simplicity makes it nearly industructible. the only trouble i have had with is was caused by driver stupidity. Its interior can easily accomadate someone who is 6 foot 3. There is not a thing I can say bad about this truck except that is uses a lot of fuel on back country roads while joy riding. There is no power anything so there is not much to break. All the switches and such are made well and have not created any problems.

Awsome Truck
By jake123 on 08/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Pickup 2dr Regular Cab SB

This truck is sooooo awsome. It gets great gas mileage, stong engine(even at 130,000 miles) and very reliable. Best Truck. Ever.

I love what it does for me, Toyota!!
By Yellow Truck on 07/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Pickup 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought new in 1990, now has 205,000 miles with amazing reliability. Besides preventative maintence (1 clutch @ 160k, tires, radiator, tune ups) I have had only one unexpeced breakdown (recently) for a water pump failure. I should have fixed it preventativley, but had no damage to he engine. This is an amazingly reliable & tough truck, well worth the money!! I have driven to 800 miles to Florida and still do not hesitate to take it >400 miles.