1990 Toyota Pickup - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pickup model:
It's been fun!
By ryanclowe29 on 02/24/12 02:16 AM (PST)

1990 Toyota Pickup 2dr Regular Cab SB

My father bought this very basic truck new for $6988 as a loss leader in late 1989. We are talking a vinyl bench seat, no AC, no power steering, and no radio. He put a lot of really tough short trips on it and didn't do much for maintenance except change the oil. I inherited it in 1997 with less than 100K miles and though it hadn't had any problems, it already needed a new clutch. Despite that, it remained reliable- a clutch master cylinder in 2000 and new radiator in 2001 at 133K. It started leaking out of the front seal a little at about 180K. Finally, at 196K, it's tough life caught up to it and it blew the head gasket Not bad, all things considering. Now it has 230K on it and

The little Toyota.
By Jason on 09/03/10 16:03 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Pickup Deluxe 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought the pickup at 170,000 miles less than a year ago. It has the 2.4 L 22re engine in 2wd, with a manual trans. The engine, transmission, rear end, and drive line are all original other then routine maintenance parts. (Belts, spark plugs, etc.) The pickup runs perfectly, always starts on the first try, and I know that I can depend on it. Even though it is 20 years old, the interior is pretty nice. The seats are comfortable, and have a large range of movement for different sized drivers. It is a perfect truck for anyone. May be used for tons of different functions with ease. Daily driver, farm, work, etc.

Great truck
By chad on 07/28/10 18:01 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Pickup Deluxe 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I am the second owner of this truck. Bought it with 13k miles on odometer. Currently has 88,300 pampered miles. Being that I live in Ohio (road salt, harsh winters), there is some rust around rear wheel Wells and had to purchase new tailgate. This thing has been through every terrain and regularly maintained.

Simply The Best
By Gene on 04/28/10 18:44 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Pickup 2dr Regular Cab SB

I purchased this truck new in August 1990. Itís been nothing short of spectacular. Iíve owned five fordís three Chevyís and none of them began to match the performance of this vehicle. The original cost was reasonable. The overall performance has been exceptional. It ahs been absolutely reliable., and the cost of operation is very manageable. Currently it has 160,000 flawless miles to itís credit. This is an ultra simple vehicle without any of the bells and whistles that make so many of todayís trucks a nightmare. I honestly expect it to run for another twenty years without little more then routine maintenance.

Great truck
By GREAT TRUCK on 04/19/10 08:24 AM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Pickup Deluxe 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I have to agree with everyone this truck is amazing. It was my fathers truck and it was passed down to me about 8 years ago. I've put this truck through everything, haven't really gotten stuck anywhere when i go four wheeling. the truck has over 200,000 on it and wont die. I recently did a cross country trip with the truck it was 6,000 miles none stop round trip, didn't have one problem. I love this truck it is part of the family. Oh did i mention the engine was and is blown, and it still did it.

Indestructible?
By Toy lover on 11/26/09 11:22 AM (PST)

1990 Toyota Pickup Deluxe 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Have had this as our "weekender" for about two years. Bought from the original owner. These little trucks maintain high resale here in California, and they deserve it! This thing is indestructible. Loves to go camping. Will 4 wheel through anything with our canoe on top. Happily goes to the dump, the landscape or the hardware store. Mileage is a little weak, 16/17ish around town, maybe 22 if I drive light on a long trip. Starting to look a little ragged, but know that at 177K it's just now broken in. Plan to keep it another 5 years, at least! What's not to love!??

I Love My Little Truck!
By Mary on 10/16/09 07:09 AM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Pickup SR5 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I am the third owner of this little truck. The first time I saw it & drove it I fell in love with it & had to have it. My father-in law being a larger gentlemen was not at all comfortable in this smaller/made for petite people, vehicle. But it fit me like a glove. Took some convincing my hubby but he finally came around. The body now has quite a few rusted out places I would love to get fixed & the drivers seat does have a spot torn. But this little truck all in all is awesome. I think with enough care (& it doesn't take much) this truck would run forever. It only has about 115,000-120,000 miles & it keeps going. Love it. Did I say I love it?

My Truck
By Eric on 09/02/09 13:49 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Pickup Deluxe 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought mine used in 92 with 28k on the clock. I still drive it and now have 160k miles. Not one mechanical problem. I have done recall on head gaskets. Seems to out 4x4 many other pickups. Just took my wife and two kids camping last weekend pulling a pop-up. We got 18.5 mpg! I'm so impressed with this truck, I think I'm going to do some custom work to it and keep it another 17 years. No Rust!

My Yota
By Dustin on 08/13/09 22:09 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Pickup SR5 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

My Toyota is the best truck I have ever had. I hardly ever get stuck in mud and snow. Its quiet. The only thing about it I don't like is the power. When I go up a steep hill it bogs down. Its a great truck for first time drivers. I think I will always drive Toyota.

Oh what a feeling!!!
By vacuumtubefreak on 08/04/09 19:36 PM (PDT)

1990 Toyota Pickup Deluxe 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Originally purchased by me in 1992, and still have today August 2009, love my truck. In fall of 1993, I blew a head gasket and cracked my cylinder head, which at the time cost me almost $2,700 and I couldn't give up the truck for that. During January/February of 1998, I had the same hard luck, and had blown my head gasket and consequently cracked my engine block, which at the time would have run me, egads?! Fortunately, a tow truck driver informed me that there was a recall on the truck for the head gasket and to my surprise Toyota rebuilt the whole engine for free with a new block and all I paid for was the cost of new timing belts and water pump! That's with 107,000miles on it!