Used 1997 Toyota Paseo Convertible Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Paseo Convertible - Consumer Reviews

1997 Toyota Paseo Convertible

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (7 reviews )

Still a Super Fun Hot-Rod
By walkndaddy

1997 Toyota Paseo Convertible 2dr Convertible

Purchased @ 103,00 miles.
The paint is old and a little flaky (like the driver).
Am 6' 2" so I have a bucket-style racing seat on the driver's side, and a regular racing seat on the other. Both have 4-point restraints. The seats are significantly larger than the stock ones, but sit very well.
The roll bar makes the body rigid, and provides a protective cage for any rear collision, and roll, as it is above the windshield level.
Strut tower brace in the front is excellent.
The suspension has been re-worked with an off-road coil over springs installation that makes the car drive like a go-kart. The body doesn't roll at all.
The rear seat is replaced by foam insulation beneath flooring, which gives it excellent road noise deadening. Alas, there is still noise from the convertible top.
Thick sound-deadening application to the underside of the hood helps.
I painted the wheels farm-implement yellow, so with the green center caps it looks pretty good.
Good acceleration.
Expect "on a rail" handling.
Built like a tank already.
Excellent economy and a thrill to drive already.
WOW!!!!!!!

My Mystic
By christene

1997 Toyota Paseo Convertible 2dr Convertible

My little Toyota Paseo is the best little car I have ever owned. She has given reliability, good gas mileage and easy driving for the last 12 years. I change her oil, do annual maintenance and she, I call her Mystic runs forever. This morning, I hit a deer, my car swerved out of the animal's way and the damage was minimal to the PASEO AND THE DEER RAN AWAY. I am still alive to talk about how my little car handled the road to try and not hit the deer which was inevitable. Broke the side light, dented the right fender and broke the passenger mirror but my little car keeps driving. I will repair the best little car I have ever owned.

Handling, gas mileage and convertible fun.

Bigger back seat, better ventilation on front window as it fogs up badly, and music system and better rims that will hold the air in the tires instead of aluminum which loses air in the winter.

Great car
By dray

1997 Toyota Paseo Convertible 2dr Convertible

I bought my 97 Paseo in' 01 and I love this car. It now has 155,000 miles on it and I get 30 some mpg. So this is the car we use for trips and everything. Every time I think of a new car I look at the mpg of the new cars and nothing works. So I think me and my Paseo will just continue on. Besides since it is a convertible it is just plain FUN.

MPG

Love the Paseo Convertible!
By 123toyo

1997 Toyota Paseo Convertible 2dr Convertible

I've owned my Toyota Paseo Convertible for many years and I still love it!! The gas mileage is awesome and the car handles really well. Toyota really knows how to make them!!

I love the convertible and the car is so easy to drive.

Too bad they stopped making them!

A fun and practical little car
By Budman 254

1997 Toyota Paseo Convertible 2dr Convertible

Stole this car from the original owner (brother in-law) for 3 grand. First convertible i've owned. What a blast! Car makes great power for a small engine between 3 and 4000 rpm. Handles way better than most original reviews I've read, and you can't beat the gas mileage. Have put about 4000 mi. since purchase (83,000 on it now) and have only done plugs and wires and oil change - all easily done myself. I have 2 other vehicles I can't even get to the plugs on. Mine is red just like the one in the picture, and people constantly comment on its good looks. With gas prices what they are, Toyota should re-introduce this model.

Handling, gas mileage, looks.

Weak power window motors. Another 30 HP would be great. A power roof would be nice.