1996 Toyota Paseo - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (22 reviews )
Great Commuter Car!
By brian20147 on 04/23/08 20:38 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Paseo 2dr Coupe

This is NOT a sports car/coupe. Don't even mention 0-60 or 1/4 mile times. Buy a Buy a G35 or vette if you want that. It is a commuter car, period! Great gas mileage, handling, and performance "for a commuter car." Purchased this car with 89K for about $3K strictly for M-F communte. Handles good, no rattles or shakes up to 60mph. After that, the engine starts to strain a bit. At 6'3" my hair almost touches the ceiling, have to recline abit for more headroom. Forget using the back seat except for groceries or gym bag. Getting between 30-35mpg avg. city/hwy. Good brakes & sound insulation for a small cheap car. With the price of gas today, this car only makes sense for a M-F car.

Fun Reliable Car!!
By Pam on 07/08/07 02:47 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Paseo 2dr Coupe

I bought this Paseo in 2000 (4 years old at the time), no kidding, on looks alone, I think I have a slightly different edition, looks different from the 1996 picture. It's 2007 now and still have it, the only think i had to do was replace the timing belts and new brake pads, oil changes etc. Currently 125,000 miles. Handling is nice and it's definitely fun to drive. I pay $28.00 a week at the pump, no kidding.

Still runs like new at 112K and counting
By Mike S. on 03/30/05 22:20 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota Paseo 2dr Coupe

I bought this car at 39K miles and now 5 years and at 112K the costliest single expense was the timing belt replacement at 68K (routine). Other than brake pads, regular oil changes, and other regular consumables I have had nothing go wrong on this car. It's always started regardless of the weather or how long it's been sitting (max 15 days with no start up). Handles well up to 85mph - great in snow - handles well on curves - rear seat is a shelf but for a single commuter looking for a somewhat sporty ride this is it. Only negative comment would be for prospective drivers over 6'3" - the top of your head will be pressed on the roof - 35 mpg when gas is $2+/gallon it might be worth it!

Complete truth about this car
By Rus on 06/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Paseo 2dr Coupe

There is no room in the backseat of this car at all in less your a person with no legs. The engine has no power and is completely gutless. The handling is terrible this is not a really sports car. There stock radio is crap, i have had to replace the brakes pads 5 times, the rotors 2 times. This car only has 102,000 on it. I used genuine Toyota pads and finally gave on the grinding and switched to Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads best pads ever! There is a awful clicking noise coming from the engine compartment.

My opinion
By BlueG on 10/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Paseo 2dr Coupe

We bought this car as a fresh import from Japan. With extremely low mileage, we figured we couldn't go wrong, with the only mark on the full inspection being that the timing belt would need replacement at 60000 miles. We've driven this car all over and totally love it. With the 1300cc engine it's a bit underpowered, but it's a great city car that's easy to park and fun to drive!

Terrible
By Bryce S on 06/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Paseo 2dr Coupe

The Toy Paseo is nothing short of slow. This is definitely a car to get you from point A to B and back again, and not much else. Great handling was paired with terrible performance. You wont reach 60 by the end of an on- ramp. There's very little trunk space, and it is extremely cramped for passengers in the back seat. Toyota slapped this car together in a hurry- I replaced the engine at 99k miles, and have spent a good $3000 on other engine repairs. Insurance charges for a sports car, although this wont top 110.

Great sporty car
By nightwolf on 04/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Paseo 2dr Coupe

This is my first car and I realy love it! Great design, excellent gas milage and handing, a great car for the winter too. No problems with the car since I bought it last year.

sporty and reliable
By rachel on 07/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Paseo 2dr Coupe

Just purchased a 1996 Toyota Paseo for my daughter's first car. So far no problems with the engine. The car is easy and fun to drive. Reminds me of a smaller version of the celica. Is anyone having any mechanical problems? Hope it lasts at least through highschool. (145000 miles).

Paseo great car
By indoorrick. on 05/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Paseo 2dr Coupe

I love my Paseo, it is fun to drive. Gets great milage, Reliable. I just wish it had a bigger engine it is underpowered for its class. But that is what makes it get such great gas milage and it still has more power than an averge compact car.

good car
By sunshine45525 on 04/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Paseo 2dr Coupe

My dad picked out this car for me. I think it's a reliable car. Ive had it for a year and a half now and I never once had a problem with it yet. Its great on gas too.