Used 1996 Toyota Paseo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Paseo - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (22 reviews )

The sayo is sweet
By crash

1996 Toyota Paseo 2dr Coupe

I love this car we've had it for eleven years and I still can't find much wrong with it. My paseo has 197 thousand miles on it and still gets 30 city and 35-40 highway! No after market parts just love and care. Easy to fix and fun to drive a great first car for any teenager and a great way for parents to control the amount of kids in the car. Easy to drive and fun to beat on beacause she just won't die, I'm still trying.

power locks, windows, alarm, rear spoiler, it's a hot wheels on steroids

More horsepower but can be achieved with a few bolt on parts. But why suggest any they took her off the market. New body design for a hybrid?

A good value
By paseoforkid

1996 Toyota Paseo 2dr Coupe

Bought this car exactly five years ago with 113,000 miles on (for $2700). Have about 190,000 on now. Only maintenance is one O2 failed at about 117,000 (at engine, the second one failed -after converter- at about 185,000). I got engine check light both times and used obdII code reader. Sensor was about $75. Did brakes and replaced starter & battery. Other then that just oil change. Haven't changed timing belt. Car has automatic and gets 33-34 mpg and runs very smooth. It is developing rust on the undercarriage. Kid was using it for school but know I am using for work. Even though this car is about 13 years old it just seems like it won't die.

It's so small I can clean it with a dish rag. People I don't like I have them sit in the back and when I hit bumps their head hits the ceiling. If I lose my tire jack and get a flat I can just pick up the car to put the tire on like a tonka toy.

American car companies should make a car this reliable and fuel efficient.

By katlady

1996 Toyota Paseo 2dr Coupe

11 years ago when I purchased the car I knew going in that it looked like a sports car but WAS NOT. People mistake it for an Acura all the time. The car continues to run GREAT. I have had minimal issues with repairs over the years. It currently get 38 mpg high way and 30 mpg city. Yes the back seat is for small people. It is a great car for what I needed. Too bad it was not economical to upgrade it and discontinued. This is the kind of car people need today.

Reliability! Great MPG.

Best little car ever
By pm

1996 Toyota Paseo 2dr Coupe

I have had my car for over 12 years and no major problem at all. Just regular upkeep. I am now replacing old worn part like struts, CV joints, power steering pump, and O2 sensor. Good gas mileage. The car is good to me I will keep it until the wheels fall off.

Reliable & good mpg
By mike

1996 Toyota Paseo 2dr Coupe

Bought with 110,000 miles on and now have 175,000. Still getting 31-34 mpg. (has AT) only maintenance have done is replaced bad 02 sensor a couple years ago, oil change, drained at fluid but didn't replace filter, replaced front brakes and rotor. Recently changed spark plugs and air filter idles very smooth. Not a car for a larger person. But if you're under 5'10" and 180#s, it's great.

Gas mileage and reliability

Alloy wheels get this black residue which isn't from brake pads.