Used 1996 Toyota Paseo Consumer Reviews - 23 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Paseo - Consumer Reviews

1996 Toyota Paseo

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (23 reviews )

Last forever
By Mike

1996 Toyota Paseo 2dr Coupe

Bought the car with 206,000 miles, change the starter and clutch. All in all, this car is very reliable for a point a point b car. Very cheap to maintain

Finally died at 342,800 miles
By richardlarue

1996 Toyota Paseo 2dr Coupe

I bought my 96 Paseo in 2003 when I started a new job which was 194 miles round trip to and from work. It had 119,000 on it then. I never garaged it and it never failed to start, even through the winters. The only maintenance I had to perform was a clutch the day I bought it, brakes several times and wheel bearings. I was averaging 41,600 miles per year. 4 days ago on my way to work the timing belt broke while I was driving it and I was told it probably bent a couple of valves. It was still averaging 37 mpg and was the best car I have owned to date. I wish I could find another one. Finally died at 342,800 miles.

Still on the Road
By MIKEinNC

1996 Toyota Paseo 2dr Coupe

Have a 96 Paseo with 238,000 miles. No major mechanical issues, but it's near the end of its life. I need to add a quart of oil every 2000 miles. Only basic maintenance performed on the car. Nothing fancy about car. Need to turn off AC to accelerate. No room in backseat. Handles well. Good AC. Overall, great commuter car when I was driving 800 miles a week.

Good MPG - get near 40 MPG on highway and average around 35 on city driving. Inexpensive to maintain.

Engine is too weak to have cruise control.

Love love this car
By Guzo

1996 Toyota Paseo 2dr Coupe

I love my 96 Paseo “Charley” I got it about 4 years ago had to do some maintenance I think the most expensive one was the timing belt and water pump. I get about 30 to 35 mpg this is one of the most reliable cars I ever had currently had 218,000 miles and plan to drive it till the wheels fall off then going to fix it and drive it some more. It is really fun to drive.

body style

acceleration speed

Very Reliable
By paseoowner5

1996 Toyota Paseo 2dr Coupe

I bought this car for one of my kids in 04/2004 it had 113 k on. Figure I might get a couple years. I am now using it to commute to work. It now has 199,000+ miles on. Just passed emissions. Getting 30-33 mpg with automatic. Have only changed oil, brakes, tires, battery and starter on car. Gonna ride it til it dies. Not a fun car or fast car but very reliable & cheap to operate.

handles extremely well, very easy to maneuver

they stopped making it.