1996 Toyota Paseo Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Paseo - Consumer Reviews

1996 Paseo Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (22 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

Finally died at 342,800 miles
By richardlarue

1996 Toyota Paseo 2dr Coupe

I bought my 96 Paseo in 2003 when I started a new job which was 194 miles round trip to and from work. It had 119,000 on it then. I never garaged it and it never failed to start, even through the winters. The only maintenance I had to perform was a clutch the day I bought it, brakes several times and wheel bearings. I was averaging 41,600 miles per year. 4 days ago on my way to work the timing belt broke while I was driving it and I was told it probably bent a couple of valves. It was still averaging 37 mpg and was the best car I have owned to date. I wish I could find another one. Finally died at 342,800 miles.

Still on the Road
By MIKEinNC

1996 Toyota Paseo 2dr Coupe

Have a 96 Paseo with 238,000 miles. No major mechanical issues, but it's near the end of its life. I need to add a quart of oil every 2000 miles. Only basic maintenance performed on the car. Nothing fancy about car. Need to turn off AC to accelerate. No room in backseat. Handles well. Good AC. Overall, great commuter car when I was driving 800 miles a week.

Favorite Features

Good MPG - get near 40 MPG on highway and average around 35 on city driving. Inexpensive to maintain.

Suggested Improvements

Engine is too weak to have cruise control.

Love love this car
By Guzo

1996 Toyota Paseo 2dr Coupe

I love my 96 Paseo “Charley” I got it about 4 years ago had to do some maintenance I think the most expensive one was the timing belt and water pump. I get about 30 to 35 mpg this is one of the most reliable cars I ever had currently had 218,000 miles and plan to drive it till the wheels fall off then going to fix it and drive it some more. It is really fun to drive.

Favorite Features

body style

Suggested Improvements

acceleration speed

Very Reliable
By paseoowner5

1996 Toyota Paseo 2dr Coupe

I bought this car for one of my kids in 04/2004 it had 113 k on. Figure I might get a couple years. I am now using it to commute to work. It now has 199,000+ miles on. Just passed emissions. Getting 30-33 mpg with automatic. Have only changed oil, brakes, tires, battery and starter on car. Gonna ride it til it dies. Not a fun car or fast car but very reliable & cheap to operate.

Favorite Features

handles extremely well, very easy to maneuver

Suggested Improvements

they stopped making it.

Best Car Ever
By Heather

1996 Toyota Paseo 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in 2002 with 85K miles, it is now 2010 and I have put 100K miles on it. I love this car, it has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. I have never made any major repair to this car, it just keeps going and going. Sadly I will be retiring the Paseo this year a she won't pass emissions and it's time to get a "newer" car. I wish they still made the Paseo I would buy another one!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, handles well and good on gas

Suggested Improvements

power windows and locks and more comfortable back seat would have been nice.

The sayo is sweet
By crash

1996 Toyota Paseo 2dr Coupe

I love this car we've had it for eleven years and I still can't find much wrong with it. My paseo has 197 thousand miles on it and still gets 30 city and 35-40 highway! No after market parts just love and care. Easy to fix and fun to drive a great first car for any teenager and a great way for parents to control the amount of kids in the car. Easy to drive and fun to beat on beacause she just won't die, I'm still trying.

Favorite Features

power locks, windows, alarm, rear spoiler, it's a hot wheels on steroids

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower but can be achieved with a few bolt on parts. But why suggest any they took her off the market. New body design for a hybrid?

A good value
By paseoforkid

1996 Toyota Paseo 2dr Coupe

Bought this car exactly five years ago with 113,000 miles on (for $2700). Have about 190,000 on now. Only maintenance is one O2 failed at about 117,000 (at engine, the second one failed -after converter- at about 185,000). I got engine check light both times and used obdII code reader. Sensor was about $75. Did brakes and replaced starter & battery. Other then that just oil change. Haven't changed timing belt. Car has automatic and gets 33-34 mpg and runs very smooth. It is developing rust on the undercarriage. Kid was using it for school but know I am using for work. Even though this car is about 13 years old it just seems like it won't die.

Favorite Features

It's so small I can clean it with a dish rag. People I don't like I have them sit in the back and when I hit bumps their head hits the ceiling. If I lose my tire jack and get a flat I can just pick up the car to put the tire on like a tonka toy.

Suggested Improvements

American car companies should make a car this reliable and fuel efficient.

By katlady

1996 Toyota Paseo 2dr Coupe

11 years ago when I purchased the car I knew going in that it looked like a sports car but WAS NOT. People mistake it for an Acura all the time. The car continues to run GREAT. I have had minimal issues with repairs over the years. It currently get 38 mpg high way and 30 mpg city. Yes the back seat is for small people. It is a great car for what I needed. Too bad it was not economical to upgrade it and discontinued. This is the kind of car people need today.

Favorite Features

Reliability! Great MPG.

Best little car ever
By pm

1996 Toyota Paseo 2dr Coupe

I have had my car for over 12 years and no major problem at all. Just regular upkeep. I am now replacing old worn part like struts, CV joints, power steering pump, and O2 sensor. Good gas mileage. The car is good to me I will keep it until the wheels fall off.

Reliable & good mpg
By mike

1996 Toyota Paseo 2dr Coupe

Bought with 110,000 miles on and now have 175,000. Still getting 31-34 mpg. (has AT) only maintenance have done is replaced bad 02 sensor a couple years ago, oil change, drained at fluid but didn't replace filter, replaced front brakes and rotor. Recently changed spark plugs and air filter idles very smooth. Not a car for a larger person. But if you're under 5'10" and 180#s, it's great.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage and reliability

Suggested Improvements

Alloy wheels get this black residue which isn't from brake pads.