Used 1992 Toyota Paseo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Toyota Paseo - Consumer Reviews

1992 Toyota Paseo

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (44 reviews )

My white paseo
By Sassywahine

1992 Toyota Paseo 2dr Coupe

I bought my paseo used at a toyota dealer who owned it and used it as a messenger car. This car is 15 years old and have not given me any problems at all. Before I bought it, I asked my dads advice about buying a first year car. He said, if Toyota owned it, whatever problems that car had, you can be sure that Toyota fixed it. There is no flaw about this car. The paint and interior is in good condition. I must agree with the other reviews that this car is very small and you can not have back seat passenger. I use to go on 6 hr trip with this car and it is really hard on the back. But, if you are just driving around town or doing errands with this car, $20 last a long time

Favorite Features

This car is great on gas. Would I buy another one? Yes. In a heart beat. If there is none avail, I would buy one that has similar traits.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Toyota, bring the Paseo back!
By KT

1992 Toyota Paseo 2dr Coupe

Bought this car as a fuel saving alternative to my Silverado. Gas savings paid for car in 11 months. Fun to drive and at 32 city 40 hwy I can go a lot more. Previous owner stated over drive was shot. New thermostat fixed the problem. Seems to be almost a cult following of Paseo owners. Installed new struts at 120,000 miles. It only took an hour and I'm not a professional mechanic. I'll keep this car as long as I can keep it running. It only asks for a little gas, 3500 mile oil changes, and a new air filter every so often. Have had a problem with rear light fuse MELTING. This has happened twice and I've not found the problem.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. Easy to maintain. Easy to park. Easy to scoot in and out of traffic.

Suggested Improvements

Never, never, never again put seat belts attached to the door. It's the drivers responsibility to buckle up. Stop trying to make it idiot proof. Cruise control would be great on trips. Why have a back seat if no average adult/teen-ager can ride back there. No infant car seats either.

You want reliable?
By Chris Cramer

1992 Toyota Paseo 2dr Coupe

I have to say that although this is not the most comfortable or fast car i have ever driven, it is certainly the most reliable. There wasn't a day that the car didnt start for me regardless of how much i didn't take care of it. My main gripe however is with the interior styling. The car in the automatic version at least, did not come with an arm rest. The particular car i bought also did not have tilt stearing. This made the driving experience a little uncomfortable in general and especially for long trips. Would i buy one again? Yes i certainly would. In fact, i plan to when the time comes. Once again... if reliability is what you are after... this is your car.

Favorite Features

The car takes a lot of abuse... Those of you who have owned consistantly unreliable cars will identify with how much i stress that as being a great feature of this car. I could let it sit on the side of my house for a month... put the key in the ignition... and she started on the first try.

Suggested Improvements

The interior for sure. The car is also pretty slow and uninspiring to drive. I suggest this for the college student or someone looking for some reliable transportation back and forth to work. Mine was exactly that.

Sexy and reliable!
By original Paseo dude

1992 Toyota Paseo 2dr Coupe

I bought my Paseo in August 1992 as my first car and still have it, 129,000+ miles later. I had to replace the water pump in mid 1996, and the air conditioning system began having leaks in 2004. Aside from that, just normal stuff like replacing worn brakes and tires. I get the oil changed about every 4,000 to 6,000 miles. Still has all original engine parts. It's a manual transmission, but the clutch still works great. I paid off the loan for it in April 1996 and hope it lasts at least another 10 years! Has been a great first car; as a used car, would be super for a teenager: reliable, gas efficient, sporty-looking.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage, reliable, few major repairs needed. Manual transmission shifts very easily. Rear seat folds down to allow extra space for long items put in trunk. Quiet engine and muffler. Toyota has earned my trust for their cars based on this experience.

Suggested Improvements

Wish the trunk opening to the back seat was bigger. I don't ride in the back, but the aerodynamic tilt of the back window is too low to keep rear passengers from hitting their heads on it. Rear legroom is tiny. Huge blindspots when looking behind for traffic.

keeps on ticking........
By Taton

1992 Toyota Paseo 2dr Coupe

I drive my 92 Paseo 150 miles per day and have been for about 6 months. Sure...its small on the inside, the backseat is really not for anyone taller than 5 feet, but the car is the perfect commuter vehicle for one or two people. Its gas mileage is rivaled by only a few cars - most of which are high tech hybrids. The motor is small, but it doesn't have to haul much car, so its also spunky and fun to drive. If this one dies, I'm going to look for one just like it. all hail Toyota engineering!

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage, gas mileage, gas mileage. Better than average ice and snow performance than most small cars.

Suggested Improvements

They stopped making them in 97.....who cares what I suggest....on balance this is a great car.