1993 Toyota MR2 Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MR2 model:
Funnest car to drive
By Sterlin on 01/21/10 10:10 AM (PST)

1993 Toyota MR2 Coupe Turbo 2dr Coupe

I bought my first MR2 with over 143000 miles. Hesitate to pay the 2400 dollars, I bought it anyway and would do it again. The car was very reliable and would not break down. I thought maybe I would drive it a few years until it breaks down. It took a side collision to put her out of commission and the insurance paid me 3400 after 6 years of driving and only minimal maintenance (oil changes, brakes, clutch etc).

A Gem
By Ramsey on 06/10/09 01:54 AM (PDT)

1993 Toyota MR2 Coupe 2dr Coupe

Truly a work of art aesthetically and on the road, one feels connected to the ground. The weight distribution is divine, and I fell in love with this car from the very first time I saw one over 10 years ago.

Great practical car.
By Bruno on 03/27/09 14:18 PM (PDT)

1993 Toyota MR2 Coupe 2dr Coupe

The MR2 handles very well, except in snow. I get 34 mpg hwy and 26 in town. It has room for several bags of groceries etc. The only problem is that it leaks at the back of the door windows in a heavy rain. Great other than that!

1993 Toyota MR2
By Tom on 08/29/08 18:40 PM (PDT)

1993 Toyota MR2 Coupe 2dr Coupe

The MR2 is very well engineered and built. Mine has been trouble free and the quality of the engineering (good materials selection) makes the car easy to keep looking new. The handling of the 93 and 94 models is very friendly. It isn't a Lotus Elise, but it is as close as you are going to get for less than the sales tax on a new Elise. It actually is a better built car, which is probably the reason Toyota could not make money selling them.

1993 Toyota MR2 170k on the clock.
By Stig on 08/04/08 20:27 PM (PDT)

1993 Toyota MR2 Coupe 2dr Coupe

Underrated car. Still looks great on the road, especially compared to more modern, bloated sports cars. Handles well. Comfortable. Good on gas. Great balance. T-tops are perfect for the beach weather.

Follow-Up Review, 5 Years Later
By TimMeyer100 on 08/08/07 13:12 PM (PDT)

1993 Toyota MR2 Coupe 2dr Coupe

I wrote a review of this car 5 years ago, soon after it was purchased. I thought I'd follow up on that review. This MR2 was was purchased with 173K miles, and now has 235K Miles. In that time, I've only had it in the shop for tires. I've personally replaced the sparkplugs, battery, rear brakes and oil, and that's it. This dependable car has started right up every day without fail. Amazingly, this car seems to be worth just as much now as it was 5 years ago! So I'm pleased with the car, and its ability to retain value. All in all, this has been one of the most positive experiences I've had with a car. My plan is to drive it into the ground, and maybe buy another one.

mr2's rock!
By mister two on 03/10/06 19:12 PM (PST)

1993 Toyota MR2 Coupe Turbo 2dr Coupe

Best car ever made in my opinion. Affordable, reliable, unique, very solid, absoloute blast driving this car. If you are looking for a sports car, this is exactly what you need...

One of the All-Time Greats
By John on 02/16/06 19:44 PM (PST)

1993 Toyota MR2 Coupe Turbo 2dr Coupe

This car was the best I have ever owned. Absolutely reliable and a ball to drive. Sure, a Celica gets better gas mileage, a Camry is more comfortable and rides better, and a Tundra hauls more, but this car fulfilled my expectations completely. My only complaint is that it weighs about 900 pounds too much. Shows you where I'm coming from.

Nearly Perfect
By Michael on 11/19/05 16:32 PM (PST)

1993 Toyota MR2 Coupe 2dr Coupe

Due to its rarity and absolute fun to drive, this car is almost perfect. Getting 30 MPG average. Does not have the brute power of a V8, but handles amazingly well.

A Real Functional Sports Car
By Richard Buchanan on 11/08/05 14:32 PM (PST)

1993 Toyota MR2 Coupe Turbo 2dr Coupe

This '93 Turbo MR2 is a pure Japanese uncompromised sports car engineered through and through with race-bred knowledge acquired directly from Toyota's TRD racing team. This car was built for luxury and speed. It's handling will match or beat Porsches on dry roads, and it's acceleration matches or tops anything American- made. It's akin to owning a Ferrari, only it's Japanese.