1992 Toyota MR2 Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MR2 model:
Closest thing to a Porsche GT2
By I Love my DEUCE!!! on 10/10/09 23:44 PM (PDT)

1992 Toyota MR2 Coupe Turbo 2dr Coupe

As of today I still have yet to find a complaint. I absolutely enjoy driving this car. No issues with reliability at 150,000 miles and runs like clockwork. I ran a compression test the other day and it was only 5 points off of stock which says a lot regarding Toyota's reliability. What's crazy is that I push this engine on a regular basis and it does not give. Performance is superb but I do wish the 3rd generation motor for the 3sgte were allowed into the US, I could use the extra power sometimes. The corners are where this car really shines and I get compliments on how good the car looks (many people actually say it looks like a baby ferrari =) )

This Car is Amazing!
By Lostmind on 12/19/08 21:19 PM (PST)

1992 Toyota MR2 Coupe Turbo 2dr Coupe

I've only had this car for less than a month but I absolutely Love it already. It's blue with blue interior. The body is in perfect shape and also completely Stock! The car gets up and goes with no problem what so ever. It gets a lot of looks and people awe to it. All I have to say is if you ever get the chance to get one, get it.

Nothing but problems
By Get something else on 10/30/08 09:27 AM (PDT)

1992 Toyota MR2 Coupe Turbo 2dr Coupe

I've owned the car for not even a month. Nothing but problems, clutch goes out, t-tops leak, turbo goes, gas tank has a leak. I had the car inspected by a certified mechanic before the purchase and there wasn't any issues. The car only has 68,000 miles. All those issues developed over the last 600 miles.

Built for car nuts! (marketed to who?)
By Min Time on 03/27/06 23:02 PM (PST)

1992 Toyota MR2 Coupe Turbo 2dr Coupe

I bought this car to autocross - best $ I ever spent. 200k+mi and runs like a top. Modified to 300+ HP and pulls strong all the way to the redline - whereupon the engine disapointedly yields to the rev limiter. It feels at home on a track where full throttle, full braking, full cornering are the order of the day. Great platform on which to learn car control at its limits, but do this only in a safe environment - track or autocross. At the drag strip, it lays down power very efficiently. Even at 300HP, it launches strong (no wheel spin) and accelerates at 0.8G in first! Gotta love the mid engine configuration. A true low $ sports car for the auto enthusiast!

love at first drive
By scott on 02/11/06 19:49 PM (PST)

1992 Toyota MR2 Coupe 2dr Coupe

I drove this car once and now i can't stop. Very fun to drive and easy upgradable. This car gets very good gas mileage and performs very well. It is low seating and the car feels if it wraps around you for a very comfortable and in control feeling. One of the best cars I have ever drove. Once you go Mr2 you will not want anything else.

Poor Man's Lotus Esprit
By David Flores on 05/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Toyota MR2 Coupe Turbo 2dr Coupe

The MR2 compares very favorably to my old 1986 Lotus Esprit in some areas and far exceeds in others. Build quality is rock solid. Performance is exhilirating, switch-gear is of very high quality. The car's got many nice little extras such as adjustable intermittent wipers and one-touch electric windows. It only lags behind the Esprit is in the styling department: face it, there's only one Giorgio Giugiaro. Not to say that the MR2 is an ugly duckling. It's very pretty, very cute, and once you swap out Toyota's ugly 14" wheels (In bought 15" SSR Competitions) the car develops a much more aggresive flair. Best of all, any Toyota dealership in the country can service an MR2!

mr2 turbo
By onizuka on 04/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Toyota MR2 Coupe Turbo 2dr Coupe

I knew nothing of this car when I bought it. After extensive research primarily from internet message boards, I now have an mr2 that runs low 13's in the 1/4 and does over 70 mph in the slalom. It handles as well as any supercar you can buy. I bought the car for 5000 and put around 1000 in modifications. Never had a bit of trouble with the engine. Rock solid Japanese quality.

Love it!
By Joseph Marsal on 09/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Toyota MR2 Coupe Turbo 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for about almost 3 years and there is not one thing i would change about it. It's an awsome car all around.

1992 MR2 NA
By MSisson on 05/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Toyota MR2 Coupe 2dr Coupe

A fun and very reliable little car. It's hard to find better bang for the buck in a sporty vehicle--especially of this vintage. It's the perfect intersection of performance, fuel efficiency in reliablity. It's quite peppy although the NA version can hardly be called a true sports car with only 140 hp. However, the mid-engine design allows for crisp cornering and the 16V engine has plenty of get-up-and-go for a 2500 lb. car. You can find them for a very reasonable price--even the turbos, although finding one with less than 125-150K is getting harder and harder.

Best Sports/Performance Car Ever Built
By Noah Yogi on 01/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Toyota MR2 Coupe Turbo 2dr Coupe

Ferrari looks, Japanese (Toyota) reliability, Zero to 60 in 6 seconds, go-kart handling, T-tops, awesome sound system, I could go on and on and on. 200,000 miles of flawless driving. Wish I could find another one, good ones are very rare. Edmunds values are less than 1/2 what they really go for, they are WAY off base. If you can find a good stock one, buy it. This car is like driving a lear jet. It's like pinning the corner's of your mouth to your ears. Pure fun!