1991 Toyota MR2 Consumer Review: Dream come true for performanc

1991 Toyota MR2 - Consumer Review

Base Coupe (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual)

Dream come true for performance lovers!
By Se˝orSw20 on

1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo 2dr Coupe

I bought this car back in 2006 without knowing anything about it. I saw it, loved the design and ever since then I cannot get enough of it. The turbo engine is a monster, recently replaced the CT26 with blown seals at 173K. Everything else on the car has kept up. I only drive it in the summer because the heavy rear makes it hard to drive in the snow. Besides they are rare to find without rust in the NE. My borther owns a miata and handling is as good or better. I agree with the comment on the synchros., they are weak for that year but with Penzoil synchromesh fluid the transmission is a dream (recommended). Overall amazing reliable vehicle.

The 3sgte is incomparable, great pickup and cornering. Somewhat easy to work on. T-tops a plus (they leak after 150K).

I believe the MR2 needs to come back untouched. Could use wider tires and I personally don't like internal wastegates. Also could use bigger piping for the exhaust sys.