Used 1991 Toyota MR2 Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MR2 model:

Still Going After All These Years
By MR2 Aviator

1991 Toyota MR2 Coupe 2dr Coupe

I see that there haven't been any reviews since 2002. Well it's 2008 and I still own my MR2. It is probably the most fun car I have ever owned outside my BMW X5. I don't drive it quite as much, but I do have over 180K miles on it and I have rebuilt the engine, modernized the interior, that is upgraded the stereo with a touch screen GPS nav/DVD stereo system which fits perfectly like it was always meant to be there, and re-covered cloth seats in leather. I also have larger tires and wheels which adds to the attractiveness of this sports car. This is one sports car that if you can get your hands on, you will never regret owning.

Sleek looks, leather interior with upgraded nav/stereo system handling. compartments in rear.

Needed cupholders and key remote locks.

Great Tuner
By mason

1991 Toyota MR2 Coupe 2dr Coupe

I'm a tuner enthusiast as well as an autocross racer. Bought the car at 175k miles and its not given me any problems. Its N/A but with a few mods I've bumped the HP up a good 40 to 50 over stock. A lot of fun to drive, great to race. Working in the engine compartment is no fun at all though. Not much room. Still no leaks in the t-tops, everything is functional. Happy owner.

Mid-eng rwd is a blast. Solid platform, both N/A and turbo have a lot of room for tuning

Snap oversteer is vicious, I'd suggest wider tires, stiffer springs and a set of good swaybars. Helps counter this a lot + improves all around traction incredibly.

Dream come true for performance lovers!
By Se˝orSw20

1991 Toyota MR2 Coupe Turbo 2dr Coupe

I bought this car back in 2006 without knowing anything about it. I saw it, loved the design and ever since then I cannot get enough of it. The turbo engine is a monster, recently replaced the CT26 with blown seals at 173K. Everything else on the car has kept up. I only drive it in the summer because the heavy rear makes it hard to drive in the snow. Besides they are rare to find without rust in the NE. My borther owns a miata and handling is as good or better. I agree with the comment on the synchros., they are weak for that year but with Penzoil synchromesh fluid the transmission is a dream (recommended). Overall amazing reliable vehicle.

The 3sgte is incomparable, great pickup and cornering. Somewhat easy to work on. T-tops a plus (they leak after 150K).

I believe the MR2 needs to come back untouched. Could use wider tires and I personally don't like internal wastegates. Also could use bigger piping for the exhaust sys.

MR2 Turbo
By TurboDuce

1991 Toyota MR2 Coupe Turbo 2dr Coupe

Bought the car in 2002. The MR2 is fast and fun to drive. Destined to become a classic!! When I am done with with it, it's going into long term storage!

One of the greatest cars. Ever
By Bleeckerx

1991 Toyota MR2 Coupe Turbo 2dr Coupe

I've been driving Mr2s since I graduated highschool. And it's a lover affair that actually seems to grow every year. I'm on my 3rd '2 now. I've driven the NA and currently drive the Turbo (although it is the imported Japanese motor) and I can say both engines are a blast to drive and the car is remarkable reliable. I really can't say enough good things about these little sportsers. Classic styling, frightning handling and the interior is so simple and brilliant- it just doesn't get any better for the price. Seriously, it doesn't. I've looked.

The fun never stops- and neither does the engine. Reliable, fast good looking.

Ah- the cupholder? Nah. This car is in all honesty, nealy perfect. Drive one and find out.