1991 Toyota MR2 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MR2 model:
BEST OLD FERRARI YOU CAN ACTUALLY AFFORD
By JJay on 03/03/10 09:53 AM (PST)

1991 Toyota MR2 2dr Coupe

Car has 268,000 miles and was purchased with 230,000. Previous owner had receipts. I have driven the car with virtually no problems which is unheard of in a 19 year old car. Timing belt is non-interference so if it breaks it will not bend your valves. Air condition in a car this old usually does not work so I will have to fix that but car drives so well and handles so well you just can't find anything with looks this contemporary and Exotic for this fraction of a price. I paid $1800 cash in 2007. Repairs have been new alternator, new clutch, replaced radio & speakers, minor fix on t-top leaks, wheel alignment. That's nothing on a 19 year old car. I drive it daily & it turns heads always

Quite a Car
By wild willy on 07/21/09 18:03 PM (PDT)

1991 Toyota MR2 2dr Coupe

Purchased the car new in 1990. It has never failed me in any way except for some speaker wire corrosion 2x and Cd player crapped out. It runs flawlessly and will always be in my garage. I should have bought the Turbo, but my father talked me out of it almost 20 yrs ago.

Favorite all time car to drive
By Wain on 01/26/09 13:13 PM (PST)

1991 Toyota MR2 2dr Coupe

An amazingly well built, reliable, and fun car to drive. Nothing corners like it until you get to $200K range and lots of upgrades available as this model was popular and made in Japan until 2004 or so. Drifters love it and looks wise it can hold its own. Best car I have ever owned by far, and that includes some BMWs.

Still Going After All These Years
By MR2 Aviator on 12/18/08 22:08 PM (PST)

1991 Toyota MR2 2dr Coupe

I see that there haven't been any reviews since 2002. Well it's 2008 and I still own my MR2. It is probably the most fun car I have ever owned outside my BMW X5. I don't drive it quite as much, but I do have over 180K miles on it and I have rebuilt the engine, modernized the interior, that is upgraded the stereo with a touch screen GPS nav/DVD stereo system which fits perfectly like it was always meant to be there, and re-covered cloth seats in leather. I also have larger tires and wheels which adds to the attractiveness of this sports car. This is one sports car that if you can get your hands on, you will never regret owning.

Great Tuner
By mason on 12/12/08 16:35 PM (PST)

1991 Toyota MR2 2dr Coupe

I'm a tuner enthusiast as well as an autocross racer. Bought the car at 175k miles and its not given me any problems. Its N/A but with a few mods I've bumped the HP up a good 40 to 50 over stock. A lot of fun to drive, great to race. Working in the engine compartment is no fun at all though. Not much room. Still no leaks in the t-tops, everything is functional. Happy owner.

Great Performance
By Mike on 06/12/06 12:22 PM (PDT)

1991 Toyota MR2 2dr Coupe

Where else can you find great handling at such a low cost? The mid-engine rear drive setup makes driving challenging, fun, and exciting. It's easy to drive, easy to own, and makes you look good as a driver.

still a fun car to drive
By jsander722 on 04/19/06 09:10 AM (PDT)

1991 Toyota MR2 2dr Coupe

I bought this car new 16 years ago and still get a kick out of driving it. The exterior stills looks like it could pass for a newly designed car. The interior could use a little more leg and head room. Yes, you do need a cup holder. There is lots of room to store stuff. The trunk even holds 2 sets of golf clubs easily. On the repair side, I've had some problems with the electical (speakers, interior lights, and power windows). I've replaced the struts, had a valve job, and need a new air conditioner (small leak that would cost about $600 to repair). Also the 5 speed is a little rough, particularily in 2nd gear. However with all said and done, its a keeper and I hope I can drive it 16 more years.

fun car 2 drive
By joel on 11/29/05 15:57 PM (PST)

1991 Toyota MR2 2dr Coupe

fun to drive, excellent economy, excellent performance

Wonderful car!
By Kyle Mashburn on 07/25/05 01:48 AM (PDT)

1991 Toyota MR2 2dr Coupe

I have wanted an MR2 for as long as I can remember. I love the sleek styling and awesome handling characteristics of one of the best selling mid-engine cars in the world. I am 19 and I bought this car as a project. The previous owner(s) neglected the car and it was in pretty sad shape. The engine spun a rod bearing on the freeway (was to be expected) and then I had an excuse to put a different engine in the car. The original engine was a great, workhorse motor that responded well, got good gas mileage, parts were cheap (these engines are everywhere). It was also a very easy engine to work on. Surprisingly, the car is easy to work on, the mid-engine design do not hinder basic maintenance

Still Going And Going And Going...
By bluemr2 on 07/11/05 15:55 PM (PDT)

1991 Toyota MR2 2dr Coupe

This little car is the best investment I've ever purchased. Purchased in 2000 with 107,000 miles on it, my 1991 MR2 has only required a few tune-ups, oil changes, new tires, gas, and car washes. It currently has 214,000 miles and it still keeps going and going and going. I love this car!