1991 Toyota MR2 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MR2 model:
Inexpensive Ferrari
By starrdog on 05/06/14 21:36 PM (PDT)

1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo 2dr Coupe

Mid engine rear wheel drive. Fun to drive. Comfortable. A bit hard to get in and out of. Great seating and driving position. Perfect reach for controls. Great on gas if not under boost. A bit bumpy of a ride but is a genuine sports car. Reliable. Easy up keep and some what inexpensive for being a rear wheel drive car. Not recommended in the snow. Coolant hose will fail at around 100k. It's about 10 bucks but the turbo must be removed so that will cost you around 500 buck. Outside of that it's a great little sports car with great value and reliability. Hold it's value. Watch out for rust and stay away from modded or abused examples. Hard driving May damage syncros in transmission. Great car!

TRUE POCKET ROCKET
By starrdog on 08/08/13 16:30 PM (PDT)

1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo 2dr Coupe

so i bought my 1st mr2 turbo. 122k miles mint. love it. tight interior, but after awhile you forget about it. interior design is good. seats are comfy. driving position good. really no blind sides. handles great. very quick. sips fuel aslong as your not under boost. much more raw driving experience but not over bearing. not as smooth as the vw corrado but an approach all its own. car sit low so getting in and out is abit of a pain but a true car guy or gal would not mind. very happy with my purchase.

BEST OLD FERRARI YOU CAN ACTUALLY AFFORD
By JJay on 03/03/10 09:53 AM (PST)

1991 Toyota MR2 2dr Coupe

Car has 268,000 miles and was purchased with 230,000. Previous owner had receipts. I have driven the car with virtually no problems which is unheard of in a 19 year old car. Timing belt is non-interference so if it breaks it will not bend your valves. Air condition in a car this old usually does not work so I will have to fix that but car drives so well and handles so well you just can't find anything with looks this contemporary and Exotic for this fraction of a price. I paid $1800 cash in 2007. Repairs have been new alternator, new clutch, replaced radio & speakers, minor fix on t-top leaks, wheel alignment. That's nothing on a 19 year old car. I drive it daily & it turns heads always

Quite a Car
By wild willy on 07/21/09 18:03 PM (PDT)

1991 Toyota MR2 2dr Coupe

Purchased the car new in 1990. It has never failed me in any way except for some speaker wire corrosion 2x and Cd player crapped out. It runs flawlessly and will always be in my garage. I should have bought the Turbo, but my father talked me out of it almost 20 yrs ago.

Favorite all time car to drive
By Wain on 01/26/09 13:13 PM (PST)

1991 Toyota MR2 2dr Coupe

An amazingly well built, reliable, and fun car to drive. Nothing corners like it until you get to $200K range and lots of upgrades available as this model was popular and made in Japan until 2004 or so. Drifters love it and looks wise it can hold its own. Best car I have ever owned by far, and that includes some BMWs.

Still Going After All These Years
By MR2 Aviator on 12/18/08 22:08 PM (PST)

1991 Toyota MR2 2dr Coupe

I see that there haven't been any reviews since 2002. Well it's 2008 and I still own my MR2. It is probably the most fun car I have ever owned outside my BMW X5. I don't drive it quite as much, but I do have over 180K miles on it and I have rebuilt the engine, modernized the interior, that is upgraded the stereo with a touch screen GPS nav/DVD stereo system which fits perfectly like it was always meant to be there, and re-covered cloth seats in leather. I also have larger tires and wheels which adds to the attractiveness of this sports car. This is one sports car that if you can get your hands on, you will never regret owning.

Great Tuner
By mason on 12/12/08 16:35 PM (PST)

1991 Toyota MR2 2dr Coupe

I'm a tuner enthusiast as well as an autocross racer. Bought the car at 175k miles and its not given me any problems. Its N/A but with a few mods I've bumped the HP up a good 40 to 50 over stock. A lot of fun to drive, great to race. Working in the engine compartment is no fun at all though. Not much room. Still no leaks in the t-tops, everything is functional. Happy owner.

Dream come true for performance lovers!
By Se˝orSw20 on 08/02/08 18:52 PM (PDT)

1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo 2dr Coupe

I bought this car back in 2006 without knowing anything about it. I saw it, loved the design and ever since then I cannot get enough of it. The turbo engine is a monster, recently replaced the CT26 with blown seals at 173K. Everything else on the car has kept up. I only drive it in the summer because the heavy rear makes it hard to drive in the snow. Besides they are rare to find without rust in the NE. My borther owns a miata and handling is as good or better. I agree with the comment on the synchros., they are weak for that year but with Penzoil synchromesh fluid the transmission is a dream (recommended). Overall amazing reliable vehicle.

MR2 Turbo
By TurboDuce on 03/13/07 19:45 PM (PDT)

1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo 2dr Coupe

Bought the car in 2002. The MR2 is fast and fun to drive. Destined to become a classic!! When I am done with with it, it's going into long term storage!

One of the greatest cars. Ever
By Bleeckerx on 09/17/06 19:34 PM (PDT)

1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo 2dr Coupe

I've been driving Mr2s since I graduated highschool. And it's a lover affair that actually seems to grow every year. I'm on my 3rd '2 now. I've driven the NA and currently drive the Turbo (although it is the imported Japanese motor) and I can say both engines are a blast to drive and the car is remarkable reliable. I really can't say enough good things about these little sportsers. Classic styling, frightning handling and the interior is so simple and brilliant- it just doesn't get any better for the price. Seriously, it doesn't. I've looked.