Used 1991 Toyota MR2 Consumer Reviews - 53 Car Reviews | Edmunds

By Steve

1991 NA Toyota MR2 Manual
By Rachele

1991 Toyota MR2 2dr Coupe

I bought this car after two others had previously owned it, both have which took excellent care of it. The car was in great condition, compared to some other MR2's that were on the market at the time. I drove several miles out to examine this other MR2 which the owner and I took into the mechanic shop to have a look at before I would decide whether to purchase it or not. It was not at all in good condition; however, I wanted the car so bad I was willing to throw thousands of dollars away in repairs. Do not make this mistake! Just be patient, the right car will come to you when its time. Anyways, I bought my car for 4k with a little over 140k miles on it. It drives wonderfully. The only things I would change is the sunroof to make it a T-top and change the steering to power-steering (the car was made without the power-steering). I have started working on changing out the speakers and installing newer ones. I have yet to make some more additional changes. I do however wish the car had more power to it, but it defiantly can go when you want it to. I highly recommend this car, it is very reliable. My dad is even happy with my purchase (since he is always very skeptical) and he loves it- he keeps asking me if I plan on getting rid of it so he can have it! (;

Inexpensive Ferrari
By starrdog

1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo 2dr Coupe

Mid engine rear wheel drive. Fun to drive. Comfortable. A bit hard to get in and out of. Great seating and driving position. Perfect reach for controls. Great on gas if not under boost. A bit bumpy of a ride but is a genuine sports car. Reliable. Easy up keep and some what inexpensive for being a rear wheel drive car. Not recommended in the snow. Coolant hose will fail at around 100k. It's about 10 bucks but the turbo must be removed so that will cost you around 500 buck. Outside of that it's a great little sports car with great value and reliability. Hold it's value. Watch out for rust and stay away from modded or abused examples. Hard driving May damage syncros in transmission. Great car!

Styling. Reliability, value, resale value, fun to drive, attention getter, cool car. Puts a smile on your face.

Too old to improve. No cup holders. Could be a bit roomier, rear wheel drive so get good tires for it so it doesn't over steer. Make sure on turbo models you let car idle for a minute after driving before you shut the engine off to avoid oil build up on turbo and avoid damage.

TRUE POCKET ROCKET
By starrdog

1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo 2dr Coupe

so i bought my 1st mr2 turbo. 122k miles mint. love it. tight interior, but after awhile you forget about it. interior design is good. seats are comfy. driving position good. really no blind sides. handles great. very quick. sips fuel aslong as your not under boost. much more raw driving experience but not over bearing. not as smooth as the vw corrado but an approach all its own. car sit
low so getting in and out is abit of a pain but a true car guy or gal would not mind. very happy with my purchase.

UPDATE! Still fabulous to drive and own. Can't see myself selling it. I always look forward to driving it. So far besides oil, transmission cables needed adjustment....86 bucks. Starter went. Easy to do it yourself but I had a mechanic do it. With new air filter, synthetic oil change and starter with labor....490. That's it! All this in three to four years of owning it. Looking forward to buying a second one one day.

BEST OLD FERRARI YOU CAN ACTUALLY AFFORD
By JJay

1991 Toyota MR2 2dr Coupe

Car has 268,000 miles and was purchased with 230,000. Previous owner had receipts. I have driven the car with virtually no problems which is unheard of in a 19 year old car. Timing belt is non-interference so if it breaks it will not bend your valves. Air condition in a car this old usually does not work so I will have to fix that but car drives so well and handles so well you just can't find anything with looks this contemporary and Exotic for this fraction of a price. I paid $1800 cash in 2007. Repairs have been new alternator, new clutch, replaced radio & speakers, minor fix on t-top leaks, wheel alignment. That's nothing on a 19 year old car. I drive it daily & it turns heads always

T-tops are great when you want open air driving. Engine is peppy and gets great fuel mileage. I love how easy it is to update the look of the car. You can get larger wheels or a bodykit. Even in 2010 people still stare and look at the car like it is a Lotus exige or older Ferrari. I Love it!

I upgraded the flip up 6054 headlights to new XENON H.I.D.'s. I also added L.E.D. front parking lights and tailights to modernize to 2010 style. Performance wise I have air intake, race headers and exhaust for extra power. Headers make it faster.