2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder Consumer Review: Fun and Practical

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder - Consumer Review

Base Convertible (1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

84,451 of 84,452 people found this review helpful
Fun and Practical
By Mike W on

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Spyder with 8,666 miles on it in December 2007. I had first looked at a Spyder several years earlier. I almost couldn't believe my ears when the Carmax salesman told me it had no trunk; I had never heard of a car without a trunk. I passed on it at that time because I thought having a trunk was important. But I'm still single, so I figured what the heck, I have no one I need to please -- I'll buy what I want and put the groceries in the passenger seat. Obviously, the car is fun. It's also more economical than a Miata because it uses regular unleaded gas, and I average about 28.5 mpg in the summer, about 27 in the winter. This car is fine in the snow with snow tires.

Favorite Features

Ease of putting the top down or up (one hand from inside the vehicle), great gas mileage, cool SMT shifter, and the fact that I drive something you don't see very often on the road.

Suggested Improvements

I personally don't care that the engine is in the rear, and I would have rather it be made like a Miata or a del Sol with at least a small trunk. But it is what it is!
Recommend (84,451) (1)