6 speed SMT
By thatwasme on
2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)
DO NOT buy an MR2 spyder with the SMT -- it will fail, and Toyota will not be able to fix it. Something about the electronics, which Toyota is now famous for over-engineering and then having it all go haywire, and Toyota's well-deserved reputation for never admitting to screw ups. If you buy ANY Toyota, be sure and get as long a warranty as possible -- these electronics are VERY expensive, and rarely stay fixed for long.
Favorite Features
It's a well-designed machine, no doubt (as far as balance and handling). It's the electronics that's the problem, and Toyota's refusal to acknowledge manufacturing faults in any of their work. Toyota is not honest -- do your own research.
Suggested Improvements
Honesty in owning-up to manufacturing defects, recalls that aren't forced by the government, and goodwill towards customers experiencing known (albeit only internally) manufacturing defects.
By angela45
on 11/18/14 14:15 PM (PST)

I owned a 2004 with SMT and replaced the clutch. To be fair, I bought it third-party, and I had no idea the SMT should be placed in neutral in the same instances you would put a standard clutch in neutral (every time you have an extended stop, etc.). So I wore mine out at 94,000 miles. But I also put about 50,000 miles of hard stop-and-go traffic on the car, so I think with gentler and better-educated driving on my part, the clutch would have lasted me another 100,000 miles.