Used 2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MR2 Spyder model:

Best car ever!!!
By angela45

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I had a 2004 MR2 with the SMT that I totaled in 2013 and went shopping for another car. With everything else out there, I finally settled on a 2005 MR2 with the five-speed transmission, and had it shipped it from New Jersey to California. I bought the 2005 because I had never loved driving before I drove the MR2 Spyder! Every Saturday and Sunday, I get in the car and do 60-mile loops just do drive it. It's really that much fun. My husband and kids don't even question it anymore. And I've owned these for 10 years now! Driving it never gets old!

Favorite Features

I love everything about this car, and surprisingly, love the fact that it's a convertible, because I was never a convertible person before. I feel so free with the top down! And I have no shame filling every nook and cranny in the storage or the passenger footwell with groceries. I even put the top down when I have to buy trees (small ones) for the yard.

Suggested Improvements

I love everything about it, even though my son thinks the ride is "hard." And I'm shopping for speakers with better range!

6 speed SMT
By thatwasme

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

DO NOT buy an MR2 spyder with the SMT -- it will fail, and Toyota will not be able to fix it. Something about the electronics, which Toyota is now famous for over-engineering and then having it all go haywire, and Toyota's well-deserved reputation for never admitting to screw ups. If you buy ANY Toyota, be sure and get as long a warranty as possible -- these electronics are VERY expensive, and rarely stay fixed for long.

Favorite Features

It's a well-designed machine, no doubt (as far as balance and handling). It's the electronics that's the problem, and Toyota's refusal to acknowledge manufacturing faults in any of their work. Toyota is not honest -- do your own research.

Suggested Improvements

Honesty in owning-up to manufacturing defects, recalls that aren't forced by the government, and goodwill towards customers experiencing known (albeit only internally) manufacturing defects.

Fun and Practical
79,901 of 79,902 people found this review helpful
By Mike W

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Spyder with 8,666 miles on it in December 2007. I had first looked at a Spyder several years earlier. I almost couldn't believe my ears when the Carmax salesman told me it had no trunk; I had never heard of a car without a trunk. I passed on it at that time because I thought having a trunk was important. But I'm still single, so I figured what the heck, I have no one I need to please -- I'll buy what I want and put the groceries in the passenger seat. Obviously, the car is fun. It's also more economical than a Miata because it uses regular unleaded gas, and I average about 28.5 mpg in the summer, about 27 in the winter. This car is fine in the snow with snow tires.

Favorite Features

Ease of putting the top down or up (one hand from inside the vehicle), great gas mileage, cool SMT shifter, and the fact that I drive something you don't see very often on the road.

Suggested Improvements

I personally don't care that the engine is in the rear, and I would have rather it be made like a Miata or a del Sol with at least a small trunk. But it is what it is!

Hard to Beat
By Spyder Man

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased my green/tan Spyder in Texas when I worked at Texas Tech. Would of course have purchased the Phantom if available (black and red). Learned early on from a friend I could flip the top back without getting out and have it lock in most instances - no apparent damage. This made me want to put the top down whenever possible. Handle - goes where you point it. Great acceleration leaving cars behind at lights without many RPM. Criticized for storage but drove it to Maine with enough clothes packed in to work indefinitely. Really enjoyed running 80 much of the time. OE Bridgestones being replaced at 18k under a warranty that came with the car. Pondering adding sports muffler.

Favorite Features

Handling and acceleration, small size, appearance with top down, mileage, quality finish, did I mention handling? And of course a great buy at around $25k new.

Suggested Improvements

Better tire selection.

Add a luggage rack to allow longer trips
By Art's Luggage Rack

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

As a long time owner of a TR-6, I became familiar with luggage racks. Therefore, when I purchased my 2005 MR- 2 I had the dealer install a luggage rack I obtained from my local British car parts dealer. This rack leaves plenty of room for engine ventillation and holds two (2) twenty eight (28) inch suitcases which can be secured with bungee cords. My wife and I can take 2 week trips in our MR-2 and enjoy Calilfornia and Oregon coast roads as well as mountain roads for which the MR-2 was built.

Favorite Features

Road handling, economy and the air conditioning which my TR-6 didn't have.

Suggested Improvements

Adding the luggage rack expands the use and enjoyment you can obtain with your MR-2.