2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MR2 Spyder model:
6 speed SMT
By thatwasme on 08/31/12 00:41 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

DO NOT buy an MR2 spyder with the SMT -- it will fail, and Toyota will not be able to fix it. Something about the electronics, which Toyota is now famous for over-engineering and then having it all go haywire, and Toyota's well-deserved reputation for never admitting to screw ups. If you buy ANY Toyota, be sure and get as long a warranty as possible -- these electronics are VERY expensive, and rarely stay fixed for long.

18,049 of 18,050 people found this review helpful
Fun and Practical
By Mike W on 08/15/09 14:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Spyder with 8,666 miles on it in December 2007. I had first looked at a Spyder several years earlier. I almost couldn't believe my ears when the Carmax salesman told me it had no trunk; I had never heard of a car without a trunk. I passed on it at that time because I thought having a trunk was important. But I'm still single, so I figured what the heck, I have no one I need to please -- I'll buy what I want and put the groceries in the passenger seat. Obviously, the car is fun. It's also more economical than a Miata because it uses regular unleaded gas, and I average about 28.5 mpg in the summer, about 27 in the winter. This car is fine in the snow with snow tires.

Hard to Beat
By Spyder Man on 12/31/08 20:36 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased my green/tan Spyder in Texas when I worked at Texas Tech. Would of course have purchased the Phantom if available (black and red). Learned early on from a friend I could flip the top back without getting out and have it lock in most instances - no apparent damage. This made me want to put the top down whenever possible. Handle - goes where you point it. Great acceleration leaving cars behind at lights without many RPM. Criticized for storage but drove it to Maine with enough clothes packed in to work indefinitely. Really enjoyed running 80 much of the time. OE Bridgestones being replaced at 18k under a warranty that came with the car. Pondering adding sports muffler.

Add a luggage rack to allow longer trips
By Art's Luggage Rack on 08/12/07 13:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

As a long time owner of a TR-6, I became familiar with luggage racks. Therefore, when I purchased my 2005 MR- 2 I had the dealer install a luggage rack I obtained from my local British car parts dealer. This rack leaves plenty of room for engine ventillation and holds two (2) twenty eight (28) inch suitcases which can be secured with bungee cords. My wife and I can take 2 week trips in our MR-2 and enjoy Calilfornia and Oregon coast roads as well as mountain roads for which the MR-2 was built.

More fun than a barrel of monkeys
By Joseph C. on 11/24/05 03:19 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

It's only weakness is lack of a trunk. In my opinion though, this car is made for nothing but enjoyable driving. It meets that purpose to a tea. It would take spending three time as much (not to mention gas and insurance costs) at the dealer to have a car this good.

Now a classic?!
By Tom Boyd on 10/12/05 17:19 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The car is wonderful to drive. It is a weekend car due to small storage space but go baby go.

Retirement gift
By JimPrice on 09/23/05 22:24 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my 2003 new and now have over 32,000 miles. It's been a great car. Eye catching and fun to drive. My wife and I drove it from St. Louis to Seattle and back this summer. It got attention wherever we went. It did great on the mountain curves. We are off to Virginia in it next week and look forward to the trip. You just have to mail your stuff to the hotel ahead of time.

Love my spyder
By ilse72 on 09/01/05 16:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This is a fun, sporty little car with lots of energy and easy maneuverability. It has proven to be extremely reliable and, best of all, it is easy on gas.

I'll die in this car
By Rodney on 08/08/05 19:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased a new MR2 a few weeks ago when I heard they were going out of production. Have wanted one for several years and finally bit. I drove HW20 across northern WA last week and it was heaven. 6 hours of twisted mountain roads with the top down. Car has adequate power for what I want, and does it turn. It's just perfect: predictable when pushed in corners, rock solid cruising at 100mph, settled over uneven pavement, fun to drive to work, looks great with the adorable blonde beside me. This is a special type of sports car to me: mid-engine, rear drive, lightweight, modestly priced. I love X1-9s, 914s, 1st generation MR2s. It's sad no one's making one now.

LOVE MR2
By tom boyd on 08/01/05 01:19 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Never less than 30 MPG. Sorry they quit making them. Fun weekend drives for wife and I. Not much for storage.