2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MR2 Spyder model:
33,896 of 33,897 people found this review helpful
Fun and Practical
By Mike W on 08/15/09 14:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Spyder with 8,666 miles on it in December 2007. I had first looked at a Spyder several years earlier. I almost couldn't believe my ears when the Carmax salesman told me it had no trunk; I had never heard of a car without a trunk. I passed on it at that time because I thought having a trunk was important. But I'm still single, so I figured what the heck, I have no one I need to please -- I'll buy what I want and put the groceries in the passenger seat. Obviously, the car is fun. It's also more economical than a Miata because it uses regular unleaded gas, and I average about 28.5 mpg in the summer, about 27 in the winter. This car is fine in the snow with snow tires.

Hard to Beat
By Spyder Man on 12/31/08 20:36 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased my green/tan Spyder in Texas when I worked at Texas Tech. Would of course have purchased the Phantom if available (black and red). Learned early on from a friend I could flip the top back without getting out and have it lock in most instances - no apparent damage. This made me want to put the top down whenever possible. Handle - goes where you point it. Great acceleration leaving cars behind at lights without many RPM. Criticized for storage but drove it to Maine with enough clothes packed in to work indefinitely. Really enjoyed running 80 much of the time. OE Bridgestones being replaced at 18k under a warranty that came with the car. Pondering adding sports muffler.

Add a luggage rack to allow longer trips
By Art's Luggage Rack on 08/12/07 13:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

As a long time owner of a TR-6, I became familiar with luggage racks. Therefore, when I purchased my 2005 MR- 2 I had the dealer install a luggage rack I obtained from my local British car parts dealer. This rack leaves plenty of room for engine ventillation and holds two (2) twenty eight (28) inch suitcases which can be secured with bungee cords. My wife and I can take 2 week trips in our MR-2 and enjoy Calilfornia and Oregon coast roads as well as mountain roads for which the MR-2 was built.

More fun than a barrel of monkeys
By Joseph C. on 11/24/05 03:19 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

It's only weakness is lack of a trunk. In my opinion though, this car is made for nothing but enjoyable driving. It meets that purpose to a tea. It would take spending three time as much (not to mention gas and insurance costs) at the dealer to have a car this good.

Now a classic?!
By Tom Boyd on 10/12/05 17:19 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The car is wonderful to drive. It is a weekend car due to small storage space but go baby go.

I'll die in this car
By Rodney on 08/08/05 19:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased a new MR2 a few weeks ago when I heard they were going out of production. Have wanted one for several years and finally bit. I drove HW20 across northern WA last week and it was heaven. 6 hours of twisted mountain roads with the top down. Car has adequate power for what I want, and does it turn. It's just perfect: predictable when pushed in corners, rock solid cruising at 100mph, settled over uneven pavement, fun to drive to work, looks great with the adorable blonde beside me. This is a special type of sports car to me: mid-engine, rear drive, lightweight, modestly priced. I love X1-9s, 914s, 1st generation MR2s. It's sad no one's making one now.

LOVE MR2
By tom boyd on 08/01/05 01:19 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Never less than 30 MPG. Sorry they quit making them. Fun weekend drives for wife and I. Not much for storage.

MR2
By Rick on 06/10/05 17:28 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I live in NH and this is my commuting car. With four Pirelli snow tires it is acceptable except when there are more than 4 inches on the road. But in the summer, what a blast, screams around corners, turns heads and gets 31 mpg. Who could ask for more - well maybe a bit more storage space.

Dan's Spyder
By Dan Fullen on 06/10/05 14:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

It is a fun car and, being a 65 year old 'geezer,' it's great to have people livid with jealousy over it (especially the guys). The only drawback (but it IS a sports car after all), is the lack of storage space. In the end, who cares!

This is a FUN TOY
By R Lafitte on 05/15/05 22:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is so much fun to drive. People are always telling me what a cute car I have. The top is very easy to get up and down. It is a great car.