2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MR2 Spyder model:
6 speed SMT
By thatwasme on 08/31/12 00:41 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

DO NOT buy an MR2 spyder with the SMT -- it will fail, and Toyota will not be able to fix it. Something about the electronics, which Toyota is now famous for over-engineering and then having it all go haywire, and Toyota's well-deserved reputation for never admitting to screw ups. If you buy ANY Toyota, be sure and get as long a warranty as possible -- these electronics are VERY expensive, and rarely stay fixed for long.

Retirement gift
By JimPrice on 09/23/05 22:24 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my 2003 new and now have over 32,000 miles. It's been a great car. Eye catching and fun to drive. My wife and I drove it from St. Louis to Seattle and back this summer. It got attention wherever we went. It did great on the mountain curves. We are off to Virginia in it next week and look forward to the trip. You just have to mail your stuff to the hotel ahead of time.

Love my spyder
By ilse72 on 09/01/05 16:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This is a fun, sporty little car with lots of energy and easy maneuverability. It has proven to be extremely reliable and, best of all, it is easy on gas.

I love my MR2 Spyder
By Wanda Brown on 07/27/05 11:06 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

My MR2 is so much fun to drive though I agree that there isn't much storage I can put a lot in the lockers and I put a luggage rake on the back for travel. I love the gas mil it gets and the SMT transmission in mine. I'ts not a family car for sure but it works for me and my son.

Most fun ever, even wife agrees
By Dick on 07/13/05 15:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car because of style and price. The Miata is severly under powered and too bland. The MR-2 looks like it's bad-assed brother, and runs circles around it. I bought the green model because it was different and the compliments are amazing. Talk about fun, 0 to 60 in a heart beat without wheel chirp, handles like a dream, like it's on a rail. Even my wife admits that it's way too much fun NOT to take anywhere. The only problem is storage space, there isn't any, so you make do.

I like mine
By MR2 on 06/18/05 14:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Car looks great and is very fun to drive. The top is quick and easy for me to put up or down from the drivers seat in about 10 seconds. Toyota quality and reliability. Very short on storage, but hey,, it's a sportscar!

What fun!
By mbjb on 06/10/05 10:38 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

With all the features of a race car, this car handles like a dream. The shift buttons on the steering wheel make this blue 6-speed sequential easy to drive when you need to have a sip of your coffee or grab your hat! I also own a red 2004 5-speed manual and the only thing I find different is the red one gets more questions about what kind of car I'm driving when stopped at a red light!

MR2 Spyder is great!
By me on 06/05/05 10:16 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I love this car for handling in town and around winding roads. The soft top is easy for one person to put up and down while in the car despite what other reviews might say. I had it down in about 6 seconds when I thought it would rain. I like the up and down shift buttons on the steering wheel. The body style sets it apart from any other in it's class. Beuatiful body design resembles the Porsche Boxster. I love the bright yellow color on our car. I dislike the fact that it has hardly any storage. No trunk space.

MR2 Spyder
By kylee on 06/02/05 10:26 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

When I bought this car I did not realize how fun it was going to be to drive. The only thing that upsets me is that it is a little underpowered but that can easily be fixed thanks to TRD and Apex.

Fun in the sun little car
By 2fast4u on 05/20/05 03:15 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Once a week I have someone coming up to me asking if it's a Porsche, or what car is that? I have people taking pictures of my car with their camera when I stop at a light. My point? I get a lot of attention driving my little car. Granted, I have a few after market parts: TRD body kit and TTE dual muffler (which makes a nice growling sound like a V-8). This car is awesome around turns and curves. It is almost impossible to slide the car; it simply sticks to the round. It does so-so on a straight away--I estimate about 7.1 seconds from 0-60 mph on a 6 speed SMT, but who actually drives that fast anyway? When I do step on it though, the cars behind me disappears pretty fast.