Used 2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder Base Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MR2 Spyder model:

Snow machine - YES
By atoyotguy

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

My summer-only Potenzas had to go, so I put a set of Michelin X-Ice tires on my '04 MR2 and voila! An unlikely snow machine! Before X-Ice I got stuck in a quarter-inch of snow. With the X-Ice tires installed I went to a level parking lot right after a 6-inch snow, before any plowing had been done. Much to my surprise, and delight, my 2200 pound, less than 6 inch ground clearance car thought it was a snow plow! I could start, stop, back up, and park - all without any problem. Sure, the tires slipped some, after all, it was slick snow. But I doubt that the engine revved over 2000 rpm at any time. Ice performance was just as good. Summer fun, winter fun; you can't beat it!

Favorite Features

Consistent 30 MPG.

Suggested Improvements

The full size, directional spare tire is almost a cruel joke. Technically speaking, it can only be used on the right front corner. In reality, it can go anywhere since it doesn't have posi-traction. Since Toyota insists that the spare be directional, at the very minimum it should be the rear-tire size, not the front.

If only it had suitcase capacity...
By spicetrader

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

A very fine car in many ways. Handles perfectly. Quite agile on corners. Driving it is a pleasure. Almost every time I enter or leave a parking lot, somebody tells me what a cool car it is. I have actually managed to carry driver and passenger with two bags of golf clubs behind the seats.

Favorite Features

SMT. Big lights.

Suggested Improvements

CARGO SPACE! I can't pick up a person from the airport if they have more than a backpack. Even an external luggage rack would be an improvement. All tires same size. Keyless ignition so my keys don't bang my knees. Input jack for connecting mp3 player. More powerful engine.

Real Pleasure to own
By GWS

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

After having my MR2 now for over a year, I still have that desire to just find a reason to drive it. It is so tight and easy to handle. The sequential transmission is just plain fun. I have physical problems with my legs and had given up on clutches some time ago. Now with the touch of a finger, I have the same wonderful sensational feeling of driver control. I have owned several Toyotas and have always been impressed with the quality of craftsmanship that is put into each vehicle that I've owned. When considering a sports car in this price range I was certain that nothing else could touch the dependability provided in this vehicle. If you don't test drive it you'll be sorry.

Favorite Features

The uniqueness of it's mid engine design clearly sets it apart in it's class. Thus, it's handling is a great feel on the road. Easy top up - top down with tight fit. Very affordable.

Suggested Improvements

Luggage space is very limited. Not really a big problem because it is hardly ever needed. I did have a custom hitch installed (looks great) and I purchased a small cargo trailer for motorcycles, painted it to match, and have used it on two trips. pulls fine, get great compliments on the combo.

Fun Car
By Casey Green

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

If you are looking for a small convertible, this is the car to get. I test dove S2000 and Miata and overall, this is the best..

Favorite Features

Easy convertible top

Suggested Improvements

Quicker upshifts on SMT. Softer arm rests and center console

sports car
By Mojobabee7

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I think this is a great car especially for students becuase it does not take much gas and you get alot of mph..great for traveling

Favorite Features

the interior design is awesome because you have sports pedals and the chrome gives it that added sports car look.

Suggested Improvements

the only thing I need more of is trunk space, but that is what I have my other car for..I would not make any improvements.