Used 2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MR2 Spyder model:

Snow machine - YES
By atoyotguy

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

My summer-only Potenzas had to go, so I put a set of Michelin X-Ice tires on my '04 MR2 and voila! An unlikely snow machine! Before X-Ice I got stuck in a quarter-inch of snow. With the X-Ice tires installed I went to a level parking lot right after a 6-inch snow, before any plowing had been done. Much to my surprise, and delight, my 2200 pound, less than 6 inch ground clearance car thought it was a snow plow! I could start, stop, back up, and park - all without any problem. Sure, the tires slipped some, after all, it was slick snow. But I doubt that the engine revved over 2000 rpm at any time. Ice performance was just as good. Summer fun, winter fun; you can't beat it!

Consistent 30 MPG.

The full size, directional spare tire is almost a cruel joke. Technically speaking, it can only be used on the right front corner. In reality, it can go anywhere since it doesn't have posi-traction. Since Toyota insists that the spare be directional, at the very minimum it should be the rear-tire size, not the front.

If only it had suitcase capacity...
By spicetrader

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

A very fine car in many ways. Handles perfectly. Quite agile on corners. Driving it is a pleasure. Almost every time I enter or leave a parking lot, somebody tells me what a cool car it is. I have actually managed to carry driver and passenger with two bags of golf clubs behind the seats.

SMT. Big lights.

CARGO SPACE! I can't pick up a person from the airport if they have more than a backpack. Even an external luggage rack would be an improvement. All tires same size. Keyless ignition so my keys don't bang my knees. Input jack for connecting mp3 player. More powerful engine.

Fabulous Car
By Glenn Norris

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've had a blast driving this car! It drives and handles like a bullet. I once had a 1965 GTO and this car is faster! It's best to have a daily driver in addition to this one because it doesn't have much storage space, but hay, who cares? I normally keep it in the garage and only drive it in warm weather with no rain. If you want to get a lot of attention, this is the one! The front end looks like a Porsche, but you have the quality of a Toyota. I told my son, he'll be inheriting this car. The car is extremely tight with no squeaks or rattles of any kind.

Styling, carbon dash

Maybe a little bigger engine.

I love my car!!!
By Mare94

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my MR2 used. I love it. It is blue and beautiful!! I especially love the carbon fibre dash work. I entered my car in a few shows and walked away with trophies. It rides great and handles those curves with ease. Great fun to drive!

The convertible top and the sequential manual transmission.

Can't think of a thing that would need to be improved.

Lots of fun but only for fun
By erysipelothrix

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought the MR2 from the original owner with 25,000 miles. My wife really wanted one. It is a great car overall but absolutely not practical. Hardly any more room than a motorcycle. I take my daughter to school on the way to work. With my laptop bag, her and me, not much room for anything else. Strictly a car for cruising.

Very peppy, handles unbelievably well. Shifts great. A blast to drive.

No storage space, the trunk in the front just has room for the spare. It is noisy but hey, it's a convertible!! Ride is very taut, I am about 5'10 and 250 lbs. Climbing out is like crawling off the floor. Cup holders turn on rear defroster if you put cups in them (they hit the button)