2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MR2 Spyder model:
Fabulous Car
By Glenn Norris on 08/27/09 18:15 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've had a blast driving this car! It drives and handles like a bullet. I once had a 1965 GTO and this car is faster! It's best to have a daily driver in addition to this one because it doesn't have much storage space, but hay, who cares? I normally keep it in the garage and only drive it in warm weather with no rain. If you want to get a lot of attention, this is the one! The front end looks like a Porsche, but you have the quality of a Toyota. I told my son, he'll be inheriting this car. The car is extremely tight with no squeaks or rattles of any kind.

I love my car!!!
By Mare94 on 09/29/08 14:01 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my MR2 used. I love it. It is blue and beautiful!! I especially love the carbon fibre dash work. I entered my car in a few shows and walked away with trophies. It rides great and handles those curves with ease. Great fun to drive!

Lots of fun but only for fun
By erysipelothrix on 08/17/08 14:36 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought the MR2 from the original owner with 25,000 miles. My wife really wanted one. It is a great car overall but absolutely not practical. Hardly any more room than a motorcycle. I take my daughter to school on the way to work. With my laptop bag, her and me, not much room for anything else. Strictly a car for cruising.

mr2 fun
By sharon koelsch on 08/02/08 08:04 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is a blast to drive, fun, fun great gas mileage, not very many on the road and get a lot o looks from other drivers. Most think it is a Porsche. I love driving it every day. It is just a fun car all around.

Dream Car
By Anela on 07/15/08 21:25 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The best car purchase I've ever made! Fun, fun, fun! Drive it everywhere, and always take the long way to get somewhere. Can't keep a tank of gas in it because I miss it if I don't put 50 miles a day on it (and I don't have a commute). I take it for all my grocery shopping (including Costco) and am not the least embarrassed about groceries riding shotgun. I typically get 30 mpg in mixed (mostly city) driving, and would probably get better if I could prevent myself from having so much fun while driving. Got 34 mpg driving from Mountain View to Fresno once (a steady 80 mph--don't tell the CHP).

Best kept secret on the road today
By Mark G on 11/10/06 19:11 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

If you want a dumb muscle car that is fast off the line then keep looking. If you want a true roadster with phenomenal handling that won't stay in the shop like classic roadsters then stop looking. The Spyder is a very light car matched to a 138 HP engine. It sits low, has rear wheel drive and mid-engine balance. With a convertible top the overall feeling is unmatched exhilaration at any speed. Add beautiful styling, Toyota quality and 27-33 mpg and you can't beat it. I get an honest 28.6 mpg in city driving. The car's responsiveness can't be described. It is a go-kart feel, but with airbags and modern car features. Do NOT buy as an only car. Not enough storage. Treacherous on ice or snow.

An Absolute Blast to Drive
By WHWilson on 06/29/06 13:18 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is my daily commute car and is pure fun to drive. Top is easily raised and lowered in a single motion from the driver's seat. Handling is so precise and agile, I sometimes think this car reads my mind. I really wish Houston had more twisty roads. Gets approximately 28 mpg even though my normal freeway speeds are 85 mph+. Car is absolutely rock solid all the way up to top speed of 130 mph.

Toys! Gotta have'm
By MR2oyota on 10/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

To date, a really inexpensive toy. Nice car for the money but look out when the Pontiac Solstice arrives!

Topless fun
By steve68 on 08/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Fun to drive, easy to own, and good on gas. Try it through corners!

Fantastic car
By Franklyn on 07/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

fantastic car. I have a green MR2 turbo. i am fine with the performance of it - it's perfect for me. Sure, storage is almost nonexistent, but it's ok for me, since I am the only 1 driving it most of the time. This car is very easy to care for. Less washing time! It's perfect! Funnnn to drive!