2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Snow machine - YES
By atoyotguy

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

My summer-only Potenzas had to go, so I put a set of Michelin X-Ice tires on my '04 MR2 and voila! An unlikely snow machine! Before X-Ice I got stuck in a quarter-inch of snow. With the X-Ice tires installed I went to a level parking lot right after a 6-inch snow, before any plowing had been done. Much to my surprise, and delight, my 2200 pound, less than 6 inch ground clearance car thought it was a snow plow! I could start, stop, back up, and park - all without any problem. Sure, the tires slipped some, after all, it was slick snow. But I doubt that the engine revved over 2000 rpm at any time. Ice performance was just as good. Summer fun, winter fun; you can't beat it!

Favorite Features

Consistent 30 MPG.

Suggested Improvements

The full size, directional spare tire is almost a cruel joke. Technically speaking, it can only be used on the right front corner. In reality, it can go anywhere since it doesn't have posi-traction. Since Toyota insists that the spare be directional, at the very minimum it should be the rear-tire size, not the front.

If only it had suitcase capacity...
By spicetrader

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

A very fine car in many ways. Handles perfectly. Quite agile on corners. Driving it is a pleasure. Almost every time I enter or leave a parking lot, somebody tells me what a cool car it is. I have actually managed to carry driver and passenger with two bags of golf clubs behind the seats.

Favorite Features

SMT. Big lights.

Suggested Improvements

CARGO SPACE! I can't pick up a person from the airport if they have more than a backpack. Even an external luggage rack would be an improvement. All tires same size. Keyless ignition so my keys don't bang my knees. Input jack for connecting mp3 player. More powerful engine.

Fabulous Car
By Glenn Norris

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've had a blast driving this car! It drives and handles like a bullet. I once had a 1965 GTO and this car is faster! It's best to have a daily driver in addition to this one because it doesn't have much storage space, but hay, who cares? I normally keep it in the garage and only drive it in warm weather with no rain. If you want to get a lot of attention, this is the one! The front end looks like a Porsche, but you have the quality of a Toyota. I told my son, he'll be inheriting this car. The car is extremely tight with no squeaks or rattles of any kind.

Favorite Features

Styling, carbon dash

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a little bigger engine.

I love my car!!!
By Mare94

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my MR2 used. I love it. It is blue and beautiful!! I especially love the carbon fibre dash work. I entered my car in a few shows and walked away with trophies. It rides great and handles those curves with ease. Great fun to drive!

Favorite Features

The convertible top and the sequential manual transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of a thing that would need to be improved.

Lots of fun but only for fun
By erysipelothrix

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought the MR2 from the original owner with 25,000 miles. My wife really wanted one. It is a great car overall but absolutely not practical. Hardly any more room than a motorcycle. I take my daughter to school on the way to work. With my laptop bag, her and me, not much room for anything else. Strictly a car for cruising.

Favorite Features

Very peppy, handles unbelievably well. Shifts great. A blast to drive.

Suggested Improvements

No storage space, the trunk in the front just has room for the spare. It is noisy but hey, it's a convertible!! Ride is very taut, I am about 5'10 and 250 lbs. Climbing out is like crawling off the floor. Cup holders turn on rear defroster if you put cups in them (they hit the button)

mr2 fun
By sharon koelsch

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is a blast to drive, fun, fun great gas mileage, not very many on the road and get a lot o looks from other drivers. Most think it is a Porsche. I love driving it every day. It is just a fun car all around.

Favorite Features

The cool design

Suggested Improvements

Cruise control, better stereo

Dream Car
By Anela

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The best car purchase I've ever made! Fun, fun, fun! Drive it everywhere, and always take the long way to get somewhere. Can't keep a tank of gas in it because I miss it if I don't put 50 miles a day on it (and I don't have a commute). I take it for all my grocery shopping (including Costco) and am not the least embarrassed about groceries riding shotgun. I typically get 30 mpg in mixed (mostly city) driving, and would probably get better if I could prevent myself from having so much fun while driving. Got 34 mpg driving from Mountain View to Fresno once (a steady 80 mph--don't tell the CHP).

Favorite Features

The overall driving experience. I have an SMT, and the transmission is such that I can decelerate quite well as I approach red lights. I don't use the brakes much because of that, until I actually have to stop.

Suggested Improvements

Everyone says storage, but I can honestly say, I haven't missed the trunk! I just travel more lightly and leave the kids at home.

Best kept secret on the road today
By Mark G

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

If you want a dumb muscle car that is fast off the line then keep looking. If you want a true roadster with phenomenal handling that won't stay in the shop like classic roadsters then stop looking. The Spyder is a very light car matched to a 138 HP engine. It sits low, has rear wheel drive and mid-engine balance. With a convertible top the overall feeling is unmatched exhilaration at any speed. Add beautiful styling, Toyota quality and 27-33 mpg and you can't beat it. I get an honest 28.6 mpg in city driving. The car's responsiveness can't be described. It is a go-kart feel, but with airbags and modern car features. Do NOT buy as an only car. Not enough storage. Treacherous on ice or snow.

Favorite Features

Handling, quality, styling.

Suggested Improvements

More storage would be useful. Handling on ice or snow is impossible.

An Absolute Blast to Drive
By WHWilson

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is my daily commute car and is pure fun to drive. Top is easily raised and lowered in a single motion from the driver's seat. Handling is so precise and agile, I sometimes think this car reads my mind. I really wish Houston had more twisty roads. Gets approximately 28 mpg even though my normal freeway speeds are 85 mph+. Car is absolutely rock solid all the way up to top speed of 130 mph.

Favorite Features

Handles like a go-cart!

Suggested Improvements

Wish it had a sixth gear and about 70 more horsepower.

Real Pleasure to own
By GWS

2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

After having my MR2 now for over a year, I still have that desire to just find a reason to drive it. It is so tight and easy to handle. The sequential transmission is just plain fun. I have physical problems with my legs and had given up on clutches some time ago. Now with the touch of a finger, I have the same wonderful sensational feeling of driver control. I have owned several Toyotas and have always been impressed with the quality of craftsmanship that is put into each vehicle that I've owned. When considering a sports car in this price range I was certain that nothing else could touch the dependability provided in this vehicle. If you don't test drive it you'll be sorry.

Favorite Features

The uniqueness of it's mid engine design clearly sets it apart in it's class. Thus, it's handling is a great feel on the road. Easy top up - top down with tight fit. Very affordable.

Suggested Improvements

Luggage space is very limited. Not really a big problem because it is hardly ever needed. I did have a custom hitch installed (looks great) and I purchased a small cargo trailer for motorcycles, painted it to match, and have used it on two trips. pulls fine, get great compliments on the combo.