Looks exotic and needs repaired just
By Seth2628 on
2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)
needs repaired just as much. I love the spyder its a great looking, awesome handling, head turning machine, it just lacks the power thats needed to keep up with the rest of the performance market. I have owned my spyder since Jan of 01 but recently got rid of it because of reliability issues alot of people were having. Not small ones either--major engine failures. The oil control rings are poorly designed/machined, which leads to oil being burned and the catalytic convertors frying. The subsequent damage is usually bad enough to warrant an engine replacement. To see details log on to Spyderchat.com care and maintanance section.
Favorite Features
limited number, sharp lines, great feeling of a mid-engine sports car. A few modifications and to get the kind of performance the MR2 gives you need to spend 50 grand on the next best thing
Suggested Improvements
engineering? manufacturing flaw? whatever the problem is, Toyota needs to fix it. I am sad to have gotten rid of such a great car but I dont want to deal with the headache of getting 2-3 engines replaced as others have.