2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder Base Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

THE CAR THAT DOES NOT DRIVE
By LALA

2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I HAVE HAD THE SPYDER FOR ABOUT 9 MONTHS AND HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS. I HAVE THE SEQUENTIAL SHIFT AND HAVE HAD MAJOR TRANSMISSION ISSUES.

Favorite Features

EXTERIOR

Suggested Improvements

AN AUTOMATIC TOP AND OF COURSE SOME STORAGE SPACE

mr2 fun to drive
By rainman1

2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Great car to drive to and from work if you go it alone. Gas mileage is great. If you have to lug a lot of stuff around or take clients out; this is not the car for you. If you love the wind in your hair and riding on rails then you'll love the mr2

Suggested Improvements

The car just doesn't sound solid. Put in a bigger engine.

love my mr
By poseyal

2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

car can be faster than you relise

Favorite Features

love the car

Suggested Improvements

more storage, and increase the window design in the conv top to allow better blind spot viewing, more power, biger cup holders, maybe special lugage with car, some crome

Still Grining
By ginner

2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Brought my Spyder used (2001). Have owned many sports cars and love the handling of this car. Engine is OK for the weight. Just a fun car to drive aggressively.

Favorite Features

Limited production - don't see many others on the road. Soft Top operation. Manual transmission shifts great. Glass rear window.

Suggested Improvements

None really. Changes would involve tradeoffs. I wouldn't mind having cruise control as an option.

Its a GoKart with Kick
By Spyder Man

2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my MR2 Spyder since they first were released back in 6/00 and I was impressed with the exotic look of the body design and for the fact that it is a convertable. The car drives and makes turns like it was riding a rails. I have heard through rumors only that toyota might be making one with a Super Charger in it as well they should to enhance the performance of this Sports Car the way God had intended Sports Cars to be

Favorite Features

Body Design, Convertable, and quick off the line

Suggested Improvements

Needs to improve performance like they did for the 91-95 MR2s but still keep it light weight. I hope they go with the Super Charger one

my car
By angelbunn13@aol.com

2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

my experience in this car is amazing. ever since i was in high school i have wanted this car and so far im very pleased w/ what i have gotten.

Favorite Features

my favorite features has to be the stereo because im a very big music type.

Suggested Improvements

i like the car the way it is.

fun!
By garyr

2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

A fun car out the door. I knew I wanted a little more so I had the dealer install the TRD Sportivo suspension kit at 2 miles on the odomenter. Now it *really* handles like a slot car. Perfect balance, adequate if not awesome power.

Favorite Features

The handling. It really feels like you are wearing this car rather than riding inside it.

Suggested Improvements

more power if it wouldn't increase the weight. a SC would probably be better than a bigger engine. And the 6 speed manual and lsd that the brits and japanese get should be available in the US.

poor man's porsche boxster
By j. murigi

2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I had always wanted to own the previous generation mr-2 but I was in college and could not afford one. When they were discontinued in 1995, I thought that my dream of owning a new one would never become a reality. I had driven the old one. This new MR-2 handles precisely, and engine is perfect for this lighter car. I also like the ease of operating the convertible. However, the '95 appears to have had a much more superior craftmanship.

Favorite Features

The interior is large for this size car. I fit perfectly in it especially since I'm 5'10". I also like the simplicity of the design.

Suggested Improvements

I hope toyota keeps it that way. I noticed the '03 has a minor face lift and the headlights now have an additional light fixure in it. I imagine the prices will continue to rise the more the toyota adds features.

topless fun
By bultman2

2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is the most fun car you will ever own. You will need another car to haul your stuff, but this car makes a nice weekend driving fun. Took the car up the mountain graded and curves and it handles very good. Hope Toyota keeps the numbers very low on building. This will keep the resale value very high for this car. If you need storage this is not the car for you.

Favorite Features

Top very easy to operate. Stick shift. Rear end view of the car.

Suggested Improvements

Make it with a 6 Speed Manual.

Great value! Turns heads!
By spyderwoman

2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I love the look of my silver MR2. It is reliable, handles well and gets great gas mileage unless you decide to drive VERY fast. Which it definitley knows how to do! Interior is very sporty, great for a 5-footer like me. You get so much style for the price, and of course Toyota quality and reliability, I am suprised I do not see more of these zipping around town!

Favorite Features

Style Style Style! This vehicle is so cool looking. The detail guys asked me if it was a Boxster! It's a Porsche wanna-be at a fraction of the price. Strangers compliment me every time I get gas, which is rarely because of the great mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Make the convertible top automatic. I know it is less complicated (cheaper) to fix if its manual, but just make one that does not break.