2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MR2 Spyder model:
Incredible little car
By ajb240 on 04/04/14 14:32 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I have owned this car only for a short period but it is fantastic. I have owned and driven many cars in my time but this has quckly stolen my heart. I love this little car. It drive like every boys childhood dream of owning a Hotwheels, only this is the adult version. This car is not practicle as you might be able to carry a gallon of milk. It is not a smoth riding car and it can be noisy with the top up. It has one job and that is to put a smile on your face, and that it does everytime you drive it. My 1st day getting it on the hwy I took a cloverleaf at speeds that would have put another car in the ditch and I didnt even know it. But I had the biggest S(&T eating grin on my face.

Great Therapy
By SpyderMan51 on 10/10/09 19:13 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This car is fun to drive, it handles superbly, and people cannot help but comment on its excellent looks. I would not recommend it for a commuter car because it has limited space and it has a stiff ride. It is a shame that Toyota no longer produces this vehicle but I am glad that they did not market it heavily either. You don't see them at every stop light. You cannot help but smile while driving this car on a beautiful day.

Finally, some fun on the streets
By Mike on 06/18/09 09:45 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The MR2 will never appeal to soccer moms, farmers, or anyone who prioritizes "practicality" over fun; however, if you want a reliable, economical, relatively rare, good-looking, and super fun way of getting from point "A" to "B" the MR2 can not be beat.

Like A Go-Kart for Big Kids
By Matt on 06/09/09 15:42 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

If you love to drive and don't want to shell out for a Porsche, this is your car. It handles like it's on rails. So much so that it takes a little time to get used to it if you're not accustomed to high performance mid-engine coupes. I've known a couple of people who have these just to take to the track as a sprint car. They handle just that well.

Fun, safe, freedom car
By Pam on 05/30/08 09:14 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Love my car. With only 9,000 miles on it, it went under an 18 wheeler at 70 mph. If it weren't for the great handling ability and rear wheel drive, I wouldn't be here today. I was able to pull the car out at 70 mph, with the front passengers wheel torn off!! The performance and handling of the MR2 in a situation like ths is outstanding. Over $10,000 later, and 2 months, this car looks and runs better than new. Toyota should be proud of making such a safe and realiable MR2 Spider!! Thank you.

No more Toyotas
By Luigi on 01/15/08 16:59 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

After 35000+ miles it all went downhill. Power steering went bad. Suspension went bad. Soft top & body rattles. Exhaust system rattles. Small hardware parts broke. Rear brakes went out. Parts took weeks to get. Never in stock.

Fun For Two
By Cameron on 05/29/07 16:09 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Way better handling than Miata, can't beat a mid-engine design, also better build quality and materials. I wish Toyota would have given it another 20 horsepower, with its light weight this car would really accelerate fast. It gets good mileage (31 mpg) but I would gladly give some up for more speed.

Fun Little Roadster
By Arthur on 01/01/07 19:13 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Great car, tried Miata too but MR2 is a way better car mid-engine handling, turns flat, very predictable, great shifter, awesome brakes, stiff chassis, and lightweight, the guys at Toyota sure know what they are doing. Sure it's not as quiet as my Camry, but it is a sports car, this car is a good therapy on a bad day, this car makes one smile. If you can live without the trunk I strongly recomend this car.

CRUIZIN 4 2
By Arthur on 12/07/06 14:21 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is not my daily car, I have a Camry. The MR2 is awesome, great handling, stopping, & gas mileage. Even with spirited driving it still gets an average of 31 mpg. I have problems when I drive because wife or 6 year old son always want to ride in it, do they make one with 3 seats? Just kidding. Also seals great - even in the torrential florida rain this car does not leak, have 2 other relatives who own Miatas. They both said all convertibles leak til I proved them wrong with my Toyota, plus the MR2 has much stiffer chassis less twitching & no rattles, again better that Miatas.

Best fun car w/o a doubt
By DRM on 11/29/05 22:15 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder Convertible 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Took the spyder to Victoria, BC. A management challenge in fitting both mine and wife's luggage into the small box behind the seats. Even stuff a small suitcase into the well where the top folds in. 1000 miles up and 1000 mils back. Besides getting by with minimal luggage, this car was fun and I believe safe as it can outrun any truck or suv on the highway. Around town, no one can even come close. Attracted lots of attention as this car is not available in Canada. Good mileage on top of speed, handling and style. Have not had this much fun for a long time.